Restaurant Sat Bains, Lenton Lane

The first and only restaurant in Nottingham to have a Michelin-starred chef at its helm, Sat Bains’ (pronounced ‘Bayns’: he’s from Derby, not France) eponymous restaurant is probably our fine city’s best-kept secret. Tucked away between the Clifton flyover and the Powerleague pitches (I know it doesn’t sound appealing but keep reading), Sat Bains is both a restaurant and an exclusive hotel, with nine luxurious rooms for those couples eager to get quickly to the after-dinner entertainment. The restaurant itself has recently been awarded 4 AA Rosettes, an accolade reserved for only the top 25 eateries in the country.

Upon entering there are drinks provided (or if you prefer, champagne and oysters) in the lounge bar, and a chance to browse through a choice of three menus. There is an ever-changing dinner menu, a seasonal menu, and a tasting menu, designed to provide a wide range of tastes and textures, accompanied by a range of fine wines to suit (for an extra charge).

The food here is, to say the least, superb and wonderfully presented down to the finest detail. Highlights of my particular visit included a main course of quail, white polenta, aged Parmesan and truffle sauce, and for pudding a selection of ‘hot and cold’ pineapple. The restaurant prides itself on the quality and traceability of its food to suit even the most distinguished of palates. However, such quality comes at a price – and that price is not going to dip under £60 pounds per head.

In short, if you’re going to go, make sure the person you go with is very, very special, or you may find that the best thing about your evening probably won’t be the company, but the food.

www.restaurantsatbains.net

Julian Guidetti