The Good Book Project

Thousands of Tanzanian school children now have the essential resources to learn thanks to students from the University of Nottingham.

Last summer, six volunteers from the Tanzania Book Project spent three weeks travelling around the World’s fourth poorest nation distributing books, computers and sports equipment. Plans are already in motion for similar ventures during the next two summers.

The Project, which was awarded one of the Students in Free Enterprise (SIFE) Awards in 2003, is the brainchild of former Notts. Uni student Max Griffiths, who saw first-hand the need for supplies in Tanzania on his gap-year.

15,000 school textbooks, 20 computers and a variety of sporting equipment was donated by Nottinghamshire schools and then distributed last August. Project leader Rachel Maranto, who was on the distribution team, told of how well received they were: “we went to one school in Lindi, where we are planning to go next year, and the children were absolutely shocked and over the moon. It was so remote that they had probably never seen white people before.”

The costs of the Project are raised through charity events, with future plans including art exhibitions, parties, raffles and a sponsored climb of the Tower Building on University Campus enough times to equal Mt. Kilimanjaro’s 5,895m height.

For more information email [email protected]

Owen Walker