Le Bistrot Pierre, Milton St

Clutching my three Times vouchers tightly in my hand, and with five of my hungry student comrades huddled behind me, we made our way into Le Bistrot Pierre. With its polished wooden floors, high ceilings and power-lunching clientele, a little voice inside me asked, “are we really supposed to be here?” However, despite my fears of being jettisoned onto the pavement by an angry chef named Pierre, we were warmly greeted by the waitress and didn’t have to wait for a table despite the restaurant being very busy.

The ‘Eat out for £5’ menu offered a varied selection of dishes, with a choice of three starters, four main dishes and a choice of desserts from the blackboard, with at least one vegetarian option per course. I opted for the poached pear in red wine with blue cheese mousse and red wine jus as a starter, followed by char-grilled pork loin steak with steamed leeks and Dijon mustard sauce. Both courses were excellent- great presentation and generous portions. In typical student fashion, I managed to take a sneaky look at the standard menu to see just how much of a bargain The Times deal really is and discovered that the starters were usually priced around the £4 mark, with mains falling either side of a tenner. Without doubt, this really is great way of sampling restaurants that are usually beyond the typical student budget.

If you don’t have any vouchers left, or can’t wait until the offer next comes around, Le Bistrot Pierre offers a prix fixe lunch menu for £7.25 for two courses, or £8.25 for three courses.

http://www.lebistrotpierre.co.uk

Richard Harris