Policewoman shot on Lenton Boulevard speaks of ordeal

PC Rachael Bown, who was shot while investigating a robbery on Lenton Boulevard, has apologised for not catching the gunman, according to the BBC.

23-year-old Bown, who is currently under observation in the QMC, feels she has let colleagues down, according to her parents.

Father Martin Bown revealed: "When she opened her eyes the first thing she said was ‘sorry, Dad, I’m going to get the sack’. That’s the sort of girl she is, always thinking of others and would hate to think she’d let anyone down, adding: "It was our worst fears come true. It was the dreaded knock on the door in the middle of the night…I never dreamed for a second she had been shot."

Bown’s mother called the wait for information "agonising [and] horrendous." The family have kept a vigil at the QMC since the attack. They say the amount of support they have received from the general public and also Bown’s colleagues has been overwhelming. "She is aware that so many people have been thinking of her and she wants us to thank everyone for their kind words and thoughts."

Bown studied history and international relations at Nottingham Trent University, and only joined the police force in March 2004.  Police have appealed for anyone with information to come forward as soon as possible.