Shot police officer awake in hospital

Rachel BownPolice officer Rachael Bown, who was shot on Monday night, is awake and talking to her family in hospital.

The 23-year-old was previously said to be in a serious but stable condition in intensive care, but has woken up post-emergency surgery at the QMC.

A statement from Nottinghamshire police thanked the public for their support, saying: "We have had messages of support from all over the country. Many of those e-mails and phone calls express shock and dismay, and all convey heartfelt wishes for Rachael’s speedy recovery."

"We are very touched by these messages which have reminded us just how much ordinary people really do care when police officers are attacked in this way.  We have also been overwhelmed with flowers which have been sent to the hospital or the scene or to the nearest police station. It’s very moving that people feel so strongly about this."

Nottinghamshire Chief Constable Steve Green said that the incident did not reflect the overall levels of gun crime in Nottingham, pointing out: "If there is one person with a gun in Nottingham, then there’s a risk but there is a much lower risk than there was, and we believe we can reduce it even further."

"Along the way there are bound to be setbacks but what we see on the frontline is the raw courage of individual officers. I cannot speak highly enough of what Rachael has done in displaying that courage."

The Prime Minister has sent his best wishes to PC Bown, adding that he believed tougher laws on gun crime were needed. 

He said: "I think we need, in the same way that we have with anti-social behaviour legislation and indeed with terrorist legislation, to introduce tougher laws that make it harder for these people to operate. Much of the gun crime is associated with drugs and illegal people trafficking and organised crime."

No one has yet been arrested in connection with the crime.