QMC and City Hospitals Merger

After a 12-week public consultation period, Secretary of State for Health, Patricia Hewitt, announced that The Queen’s Medical Centre and Nottingham City Hospital are to merge from April. The new hospital will be known as Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust. It is predicted that patient care, teaching and research will benefit.

The official Public Consultation Document stated that the merger would “provide the academic community with a broader range of roles, opportunities, and areas of specialisation.” The document also claimed that it would “drive scale benefits for the academic community in the form of more and better teaching facilities, as well as better coordination of services and support.”

Acting chief Executive of the ‘Queens’, David Edwards, welcomed the news and commented that: “Most people will not notice any difference on the surface as Nottingham will still have two distinct hospital sites at QMC and City. However, behind the scenes, decisions will be made that consider the needs of all our patients, without having to work around organisational boundaries.” The merger will result in one of the largest NHS trusts in the country, with an annual budget of more than £500m.

The Trent Strategic Health Authority has said: “We are already carrying out some world-class research at both hospitals and pooled resources are likely to attract more funding streams as we would be a ‘bigger fish’.”