Student nosh in Notts

For some strange reason, the notions of student cooking and fine cuisine are not synonymous in the English language. Hall ‘food’ and your housemates’ creations could lead to a serious case of malnourishment. Never fear! For your health and gastro delight, Impact provides you with a very cursory guide to some of the places you can get good grub without going into your overdraft. Enjoy!

The Red Hot Buffet
38-46 Goosegate, Hockley 01159 589899

One of several all-you-can-eat places in Notts, Red Hot holds the advantage of offering more than one type of cuisine. Gorge yourself on a selection of Indian, Chinese, Italian and Thai food from a choice of at least 110 different items.

Dino’s Pizza
01159 258158

Perfect for the late night munchies, the bargain offer of two 9 inch pizzas for a fiver and free delivery should not be ignored. Whilst some pizza connoisseurs turn their favour toward the more aesthetically pleasing, who really cares after a night out anyway?

The Pitcher and Piano
The Unitarian Church, High Pavement 0115 958 6081

Set in a stunning converted Church, pub style grub with a great atmosphere is the order of the day. Good place to take someone when you want to impress without pressure.

Ye Olde Trip to Jerusalem
Brewhouse Yard 0115 947 3171

Claiming to be the oldest pub in Britain, the Trip is now part of the Hardy and Hanson’s chain of pubs. Unlike most chain restaurants however, the Trip is said to be haunted, so you could end up having a unique dining experience even if you stick to the tried and tested steak and chips!