Firefly @ the Garvey, Fri 29th September.

At the end of last month we joined Firefly to celebrate its 25th birthday at the Garvey, Lenton. The much anticipated first Firefly of the new academic year held a lot of promise, and it most certainly delivered.

The night kicked off with local duo ‘Ripp Off’ (Olly Furze & Jay Lan), followed by Phil Kieran’s new project; live band ‘Alloy Mental’ whose darker, edgier style dance music, mixing electronic with indie, soon had the crowd geared up for the following 6 hours of pure unadulterated raving.

Orbital’s Phil Hartnoll and Radio One’s Fergie, the latter more renowned for his hardhouse than his techno outside of the Firefly bracket, delivered a couple of quality sets, with the music getting harder and the masses getting sweatier as the night went on.

Finally co-creator and resident DJ at Firefly, Jeet, took to the decks to lead the night into full crescendo with his usual mix of breaks, house and techno.

It’s not only the music that makes Firefly so special. The glow poi, the gothic girls on stilts, the infamous ‘Petebox the Beatbox’ (he can actually beatbox techno!), the dancers…it really is anything goes at Firefly, making it one of, if not the most unique night out in Nottingham. Even my Isis/Ocean going mate came along and he fucking loved it!

For the brave that stayed to the end…good effort. We did, and we only have one thing to say…Ride on time! Nice one Jeet. What a result.

Nancy Weir

(Firefly is held on the last Saturday of every month at the Marcus Garvey Centre in Lenton, tickets £10 from www.ilovefirefly.co.uk or pop to the students union box office in the Portland Building. The next Firefly will be held on 28th October at the Garvey. The line up includes ADAM FREELAND, Freeform Five, Thrash Jelly and DIGITALISM!!!)