Poly Polish Off Uni Challenge

VARSITY SERIES ICE HOCKEY- result
Nottingham University 3 Nottingham Trent 5
Thursday 1st March 2007
Nottingham Ice Arena
Attendance 3102

A bumper crowd at the Nottingham Ice Arena saw Nottingham University fight valiently, but ultimately fail to defeat the Old Enemy earlier tonight. Though Uni were to equalise 3 times during the periods, ultimately Trent’s superior shooting ability told as Uni were consigned to their first defeat in the 06-07 Varsity Series.

The game did not start well for the canary-yellow clad Uni players. Just 20 seconds in, a mistake in midfield lead to a mazy run by Trent’s #16, who converted his own chance over the outstretched arm of the despairing Uni keeper. Trent dominated the opening exchanges, and it was a relief when Uni’s #19 Williams had the first effort for the ‘Home’ team, a close range shot which went wide of the Trent left post. Uni were however becoming increasingly frustrated by Trent’s early superiority, and it came as little surprise when Uni’s #66 Moodey became the first of many Uni players to be sent to the sin bin. Yet spurred on by the ever-increasing presence of #8 Bates, Uni fashioned an unlikely equaliser, with a Bliss rebound falling to the stick of #6 Karsay, for his first goal of the game.

Under the pressure of an increasingly vocal Uni crowd, starting to taunt their rivals with cries of “Stand up if you know your dad”, Trent took the lead for the second time half way through the first period. A long range effort from Trent’s #97 Dea Amisa was parried to their #16, who tapped in for his second goal of the game. It was harsh on Uni, who had just started to find their feet in the game, but again the goal had come from a defensive error in the centre of the arena. For the rest of the period, further sin-binnings for Uni players (at one point they were down to 3 outfield representatives) allowed Trent’s Captain #7 Bjorkman to assert his authority on the game, and Trent were unlucky not to add to their lead.

END OF FIRST PERIOD Uni 1 Trent 2

After a spectacle from disabled Ice Hockey players, Uni were boosted going into the second period with the news that #55 Stuller had received clearance to play for the remainder of the match. Buoyed by his influence, Uni spent much of the second period proving their potential, and largely outplaying Trent. Shots began to rain in on the Trent goal, but both keeper and defence were largely remaining resolute. Chants from the Uni side of the arena concerning the type of house the Trent students lived in, however, helped fashion an equaliser in the fourteenth minute of the period. A scramble following patient build-up play from Uni had led to #6 Karsay smashing in from distance, for his second goal of the game. The equaliser had been coming, and the relief from the stands was plainly obvious.

2 minutes later, Uni felt they should have had the lead for the first time. The ball crept in following a close range shot from Uni’s #97, but the goal was ruled off due to the Trent goal coming unstuck on the ice. Trent jeers at this decision were responded to by cries, largely, of “Fuck off you thick bastards”. Both teams then had a number of long range effort before the period closed.

END OF SECOND PERIOD Uni 2 Trent 2

Given the way in which Uni had dominated the second period, they were favourites to take the game in the third, and claim the Varsity crown. However, 2 moments of ill-discipline led to them being down to 3 outfield players after a minute of the third period, and Trent duly punished them, when a shot from the effervescent #16 was deflected and turned in by Trent’s #21 Middles. It was the third time in the game that Trent had taken a lead, and Uni had less time to respond. When Stuller was sinbinned seven minutes into the period for a high stick, it appeared that Uni were beginning to run out of time. But with Trent’s supporters busy mocking the Uni cheerleaders with chants of “Who let the dogs out?”, it would appear that several Trent players were distracted enough to allow Uni a third equaliser. Decent build-up play by #5 Kaye led to a simple tap in for Uni’s #6 Karsay, who claimed his hat-trick. The impotus, going into the final ten minutes, appeared to be with the hosts.

Yet Uni’s joy was to be short lived. With 9 minutes on the clock, a calamitous error in defence following a deflected shot from Trent’s #16 led to the ball being turned past the Uni keeper, perhaps by one of his own players. Certainly the groans away to the keeper’s right appeared to suggest as much. The official stadium announcer awarded the goal, Trent’s fourth, to #22 Larcombe.

With four minutes to go, Uni were back to full strength on the ice, and launched a tirade of attacks on the Trent goal, in their determination to get an equaliser. Trent, by this stage, were happy to sit on their lead. A shot from Uni’s #19 Williams was the closest chance they had to an equaliser, but it was tipped over by the Trent keeper. With one minute to go, the Uni keeper was subbed off, and Uni had 6 attackers on the pitch as the seconds ticked away. #6 Karsay had a great chance to get his fourth equaliser, but the Trent keeper was equal to it. Then, with just seven seconds on the clock and the Uni team poring forward, the puck fell on the left wing to Trent’s #97, who from his own half hit a long drive past the Uni defence and into the unguarded net. Uni had fought bravely, but the game had been decided, this Varsity title, at least, was staying with Trent.

FULL TIME Uni 3 Trent 5

Uni Player of the Match: #32 Lambrinis
Trent Player of the Match: # 21 Middles

Player of the Tournament: #15 Bliss (Uni)

TEAMS
UNI
4 Hopkins
5 Kaye
6 Karsay
8 Bates
10 Ackel
15 Bliss
17 Havlik
18 Appleby
19 Williams
24 Bratley
26 Furlong
29 Schmitt
32 Lambrinis
66 Moodey
82 Henslaw
86 Curtis
91 Davey

TRENT
6 Hayward
7 Bjorkman
8 Illingworth
9 McCannon
11 Van Samars
16 Walter
21 Middles
22 Larcombe
39 Jeevey
40 Keeper
46 Oake
51 Millard
68 Roberts
80 Ellerton

VARSITY SERIES 06-07 SCORE: Uni 1 (Boat race) Trent 1 (Ice Hockey)

NEXT VARSITY MATCHES
Football: Mens and Womens March 12th Meadow Lane
Indoor Varsity: March 14th Nottingham Uni Sports Centre
Rugby and Rugby League: April
Hockey and Cricket: May

FOR FULL VARSITY MATCH REPORTS CHECK OUT www.impactnottingham.com/sports