Tantra – 20 Victoria Street

I’m sure a few eyebrows are raised every time the name is uttered. ‘What? As in (tantric) sex??? Are Impact really reviewing that sort of establishment? Has Sting finally got his claws into the jewel of the Midlands?????

For those of you who don’t already know, Tantra is a lounge bar and not a strip joint (although there is a pole…).

As the name suggests, it’s a little bit naughty, but very very nice. Its website hails itself as ‘the sexist club, lounge and boutique bar in Nottingham’ and I have to say I agree.

Decked out in red and black like an exotic boudoir, Tantra’s decor lives up to its name: seductive and a little bit kinky. Dim lighting and cosy booths create the feeling of intimacy, a theme echoed further in the infamous beds situated on a raised platform at the far end of the bar. String curtains separate the plush byres from each other and the rest of the club. If you do fancy lounging around surrounded by cushions, drink in hand, it’s best if you reserve in advance (the number’s on the website) as the best seats in the house are highly sought after.

Heading down on a Tuesday is the best bet for us poor students as its half price cocktail night (praise be!). Choosing from the long list of cheekily named cocktails is the most strenuous part of the night. Cocktails on offer include Tantric Kisses, Knicker Dropper Glories, Midnight Shags… Needless to say if you’re a wee bit shy, you might feel a bit uncomfortable ordering, but don’t let it put you off! The cocktails are to die for. Prettily presented in elegant glasses and topped off with fruit and/or cocktail sticks, it almost seems a shame to destroy such a work of art, but you won’t regret it.

Very different to the usual student haunts, Tantra gives a glimpse into the sophisticated world of the debt free yuppy that we all secretly hope to become. In the meantime, inject a bit of sophistication and luxury into your week, go on, you know you want to!

Hannah Lewis