Nottingham Student Has The X-am Factor

An outstanding University of Nottingham graduate has picked up a hat-trick of awards after scoring record breaking final exam results. Phil Ingrey, from Bedfordshire, has achieved the highest recorded first-class degree of any student at The University of Nottingham since the current system of records began ten years ago. Phil’s average final mark, over his three-year joint honours course in Electronic Engineering and Mathematics, was a near-perfect 95 per cent. As well as completing his undergraduate degree, Phil co-authored three research paper submissions and has given a research seminar on his final-year project work. He also found time to do volunteer work in the local community in Nottingham, in association with a local church. Phil won the following School and University prizes at the completion of his degree:

Institution of Electrical Engineers Prize: For the most outstanding final year student in the School of Electrical and Electronic Engineering.

Tryfan Rogers Memorial Prize: For most outstanding graduating student in the School of Mathematical Sciences.

Marsden Prize: For a student who has gained high distinction in examinations, and has throughout their University careers been of exemplary conduct and given proofs of outstanding character and personality.

The 21-year-old is staying on at the University to further his studies, and will be starting a PhD in the School of Mathematical Sciences in October.
Phil said:

“I still don’t quite believe the results are mine. As I grew up I always tried to follow my Granddad’s advice: ‘If you try your best at something then you can be proud of your results’. I’m just glad I’ve found a subject that I enjoy and the marks are a very big bonus on top of that.”

Dr Keith Hopcraft, Phil’s tutor in the School of Mathematical Sciences, said:

“The consistency and exceptionally high quality of Phil’s performance is remarkable and unparalleled in my experience. He has already made valuable contributions to original research and aims to continue this by studying for a doctorate. Phil’s talent is very rare and special and a glittering career beckons.”

Pippa Vaux