Week One Fun

For first years across the country, the first week at University can be a daunting prospect. Seven days of solid partying will be a breeze for some, while others may be worried by the prospect of a week of heavy nights and busy days.

This year, however, Fresher’s Week at Nottingham has been designed to cater for all tastes with a series of new and exciting evening events organized for those who wish to have a break from the party scene and have a taster of what is to come in the year ahead. Week One co-ordinator Oran Hassan outlined some of the confirmed plans for the week to Impact: “Not everyone wants to club solidly for seven nights and for the first time, Week One is hosting a variety of nighttime and evening events.” There are plans to make full use of Nottingham’s new student bars Mooch and the Venue, with a Comedy night and Band Night expected to showcase at the Venue for the first time. Other plans for the week include a ‘fight night’ and a martial arts extravaganza for those wishing to sample the best of what the university societies have to offer. The day time events are just as exciting, with trips to Alton Towers and Cadbury’s World to provide some entertainment for those who want to make the most of the days as well as the evenings (as well as bagging tons of free chocolate)!

Alongside the festivities, the traditional Week One parties are still being held with various fancy dress themes. Another new event with this in mind is the ‘Official Week One Fancy Dress Sale’ which is being held at the Portland Building. All fancy dress clothes are sold at student prices for those who, in the excitement of coming to Uni, possibly forgot to pack their devil horns or togas.

The week’s activities are expected to culminate in a fantastic ‘Week One Festival’, a free event that will be held outside the Sports Hall throughout the day. With music and inflatables and many other activities in the pipeline, it will be a great opportunity to finish the first week of term in style. The real piece de resistance, though, will no doubt be the revelation of the closely guarded secret of the acts for the Week One Party. A Mercury music award nominee is already confirmed, along with other high profile artists. Tickets are set to be in high demand, so freshers are encouraged to keep checking the Week One website which, following last years improvements, will have all the up-to-date information for tickets and events at www.weekonenottingham.com.

Emily Grosvenor-Taylor