Review of Student Night at NG1

Review of NG1’s student Thursday night:

To those of us that were here last year, let us take a moment to pay our respects to Kudos, our usual Thursday night haunt for drunken antics, which is sadly no more… But all is not lost – another student-run promotion team is now offering us NG1 (near Oceana) as a most acceptable alternative!

Previously renowned as Nottingham’s very own gay superclub, NG1’s Thursday student night has a brilliantly cosmopolitan vibe where all are welcome. As a venue itself the club is a hidden gem- with a capacity of 900 it’s a good size, so it’s about time it held a student night!

With two dance floors and two additional seating areas, NG1 easily gives the other student clubs a run for their money. In regards to our own precious cash, with doubles at £3 and pints at £2 we can’t really complain. On top of the reasonable prices, the fact that there are numerous bars means that the waiting-to-be-served process isn’t as utterly frustrating as usual.

Music-wise there’s something for everyone. The top floor offers the standard mix of chart and cheese, whilst the bottom has an unusual progression of indie to dance anthems, and eventually house. There’s even accoustic guitar in the VIP room, bringing the chilled out atmosphere of Snug conveniently into the student clubbing scene. And how does one get to be a VIP? I’ve been informed that by emailing the promoter it’s easy to get on the guest list.

Get your advance tickets from reps or pay £3 on the door. Once the publicity side of things kicks off, this night is sure to be the next big thing.

Emily Conway