G&S’ The Mikado @ Nottingham Art’s Theatre

“Virtue is only triumphant in theatrical productions” The Mikado himself proclaims in a climatic moment of this Gilbert and Sullivan production. Ironic though the comment is, it proves no less true for this particular ambitious production. For G&S ‘The Mikado’ triumphed on the stage and held the undeniable of virtue of charming the audience throughout the entire performance.

The story of the lovesick Japanese Prince disguised as a mere minstrel in order to escape execution or, even worse, marriage to the undesirable elderly Katisha is full of ridiculous situations and most amusing resolutions. All carried out brilliantly by the entirety of a very talented cast which in conjunction to the direction somehow managed to make a pleasing harmony on stage despite the natural chaos of such absurd of the situations, flamboyant choreographies and hilarious lyrics.

The set’s impressive design and art work were aesthetically and visually pleasing, as well as the play on colours like red and yellow that complimented the costumes making the stage vibrate with life. This certainly complemented the already vibrant moment in which the entire cast took to the stage and created an exciting whirlwind of humours and captivating sights and sounds.

Jonathan Prior as Nanki-poo was a strong leading man, through impressive voice and overall performance he maintained the evident humour of his circumstances whilst also creating empathy for his character. However It was Tom Beynon as Pooh-bah who stole the show proving the be an audience favourite by his skilful performance of ambitious yet charming aristocrat who not only loves to be insulted with bribes but also holds all the posts of government and makes reference to them constantly. My personal favourite and the moment in which the stage truly exploded was that in which Giles Urwing as Ko-Ko and Emily Maxwell as Katisha took the stage as a duo, both with their exceptional voices and performances took the already triumphant show to an even higher level.

G&S’ ‘The Mikado’ had the Virtue charm, for when ever I wasn’t laughing fit to fall off my chair I was admiring the vastly talented cast.

MARIANA PENA