A Sneak Preview into the Nottingham Nightlife

Oceana – Kirsty Taylor

For those of you who have been to one of the many Oceana clubs dotted around the country you’ll know what to expect…. but for those of you that haven’t, be prepared. Monday nights at Oceana are THE number one student night in Nottingham, and when you walk through the doors you’ll understand why. Drunkenness and debauchery are two words that immediately spring to mind. With its six rooms, including an R&B room, an authentic “snowlodge”, a chilled boudoir lounge, and my personal favourite, a cheese room playing “old school” tunes, there is something for everyone to dance to. The cheese room has an illuminated dance floor where you can crack out whatever dance moves you want, because it really doesn’t matter how much you embarrass yourself when Dancing Queen comes on. And with drinks at £2 it’s guaranteed that you’ll be showboating, even if you didn’t intend to. The good news is, when everyone gets kicked out at three thirty, just across the road you’re greeted with the delights of Food Factory, serving every takeaway you could wish for, all under one roof. But that’s only if you can make it that far. Needless to say, Monday nights at Oceana are not to be missed; tickets are available from your Karni reps in halls around campus.

ISIS – Steph Aldrich

Isis is secretly adored by everyone, and promises a classic student night out: providing cheap vodka redbull and blaring out “total eclipse of the heart” at 1am. Girls tend to dress up according to the provocative weekly theme (army girls, bikini babes…) whilst the rugby, football and hockey teams stumble around in their chinos, shirts and ties. There’s a questionable ‘VIP’ lounge on the top floor and a circular balcony overlooking the dance floor – perfect for catching people busting out their best moves. Finally, your Isis experience wouldn’t be complete without taking a ride on the waltzer and a spin around the strippers’ pole. Have yourself a messy (cr)isis… (just don’t expect to remember it)!

Dipping in the Ocean – Jack Cooper

Ocean is a bit like ‘X Factor’. Not because Leona Lewis is one of the last songs played every week, and certainly not because there is anything special about it. But because in the same way that you’ll sit in front of the TV on Saturday and watch Britney wannabees, you’ll go to Ocean on Friday because there is nothing else to do. And you’ll go grudgingly, knowing it should be shit.

Having been told that there are no tickets left on the door, you’ll get there so early it’s still light only to find the place empty. After negotiating your way past the charming Ocean bouncers, the first thing you might notice is the sweltering heat. Or the smell. Or the fact that the floor is so sticky it takes considerable effort to walk across.

Yet by the end of the night, you’ll be sorry to leave. Yes you’ll be covered in alcohol and dripping in sweat, but by 2am you’ll be singing along to your favourite cheese, and secretly quite enjoying it. And you can be safe in the knowledge that next week, everything from the queue to the playlist will be exactly the same.

Dogma – Niall Farmer

Dogma is a bar/club and daytime eatery, which offers a slightly more upmarket option to the usual student haunts. If you fancy a change from the norm, then Dogma may be the choice for you. Set in the heart of the Lace Market, it is a fairly pricey option, but the expense is well worth it. Thursday is the most popular night for students. Aptly named Dogma Presents, it is a showcase of talent for well known DJs. Last year’s Thursday line-ups included Marcus Intalex, Sinden and Herve amongst others. The patrons are predominantly from Nottingham University although there is a smattering of well-dressed locals. It is free to get in but unless you are a very cheap date I suggest getting on the White Lightning first as any drink other than Fosters is going to set you back. If you don’t fancy Dogma as a night out it is a great place to take a girl/boy, or if you are feeling particularly well off for the lunch time platters which are fantastic. For more information on Dogma go to www.dogmabars.com

Stealth – Niall Farmer

Stealth has been described as Nottingham’s ‘Superclub’ – for many this term conjures up images of topless Serbo-Croat men dancing to Euro-house. Fear not, however, as Stealth is seen by many (including Nottingham Bar and Club Awards 2008) as the best club in the East Midlands. It offers an alternative to student nights – new music from a myriad of genres and a break from fancy dress, the Baywatch theme and the number of bad smells that arise from Nottingham’s carpeted clubs. Monthly Friday nights invite the world’s most talented and recognised drum & bass, dubstep, techno, electro and breaks DJs. Saturday nights at Stealth differ in many ways from Fridays, rather than dedicating the night to a music genre all five rooms of Stealth are opened up and something different is offered in each one, from Indie-Electro to Grime. On weekdays established as well as up-and-coming bands play Rock City and The Rescue Rooms; October’s gig listings include Foals, Roots Manuva, The Courteeners, MGMT and (unfortunately) The Ting Tings.

Aside from the music the night itself has a lot to offer. For those with more of a gleam in their eye than a deft ear for the music, nights at Stealth do not disappoint. Swathes of good-looking boys and girls flock to Stealth regardless of the night with Saturday nights being renowned for its prettier-than-thou clientele. With a relatively even mixture of Nottingham University and Nottingham Trent students, the environment in Stealth is friendly and relaxed and the large covered smoking area encourages you to meet people who don’t just live on your hall corridor or do your course. Drinks are cheap, there is never a queue at the bar and unlike many of Nottingham’s other night’s closing time isn’t until 6am on a Friday and a Saturday.

For more information on Stealth, visit www.stealthattack.co.uk/