Impact’s guide to Nottingham’s Theatre’s

Nottingham has an incredibly wide and varied performing Arts scene; you’ll find everything here from the student writing at the New Theatre to national touring productions at the Playhouse; whatever your taste you’ll find something of interest. All Nottingham venues offer student discounts so a trip to the theatre can be surprisingly cheap – just remember your student card! So skip the clubs and pay a visit to a theatre for a memorable night; and if you need another reason, it’s a perfect excuse to get dressed up.

New Theatre

The Universities’ very own New Theatre is unique, it is run and managed entirely by students and productions run virtually weekly in term time; quite an achievement considering the commitment involved and coursework deadlines! You’ll find high quality classic productions here as well as new writing; some great productions written by Nottingham students are regularly shown. If you’re a budding playwright or actor don’t just watch but get involved.

(See the New Theatre website for listings www.newtheatre.org.uk ; Tickets: £5)

Theatre Royal

This classic Victorian venue is one of the major landmarks in the city. Go inside and you’ll feel like you’ve stepped back in time – there is a wonderful, elaborate auditorium; complete with a huge chandelier and painted ceiling. If modern drama is your thing don’t be put off; it is one of the best touring venues in the country and you’ll find West End musicals, drama, opera and ballet in the listings and a great Christmas pantomime.

Coming up: 6th-18th October, Joseph and the Amazing Technicolour Dreamcoat (Tickets: £13 Stalls, Monday-Thursday evening performances)

Nottingham Playhouse

Don’t miss this striking theatre hidden near Maid Marian Way. The Playhouse has a strong tradition for supporting new writing and there are regular top touring productions; a high quality performance here is virtually guaranteed. The theatre’s wonderful CAST restaurant and Anish Kapoor’s Sky Mirror sculpture outside are worth a visit themselves.

Coming up: 9th-18th October, All Quiet on the Western Front (Tickets: £10-£13.50, Stalls, Tuesday to Friday).

Lakeside Arts Centre

It is easy to overlook the Universities second venue; the Lakeside is a performing Arts Centre that has plays and much, much more: if you’re into dance, comedy, literature or musicals you’ll find something and the Djanogly Arts Gallery is definitely worth visiting. A word of warning: productions come and go very quickly, so check their listings regularly.

Coming up: Zero 7th-8th October. (Tickets: £9 or £5 restricted view).

Lacemarket Theatre

This cosy amateur theatre is a bit different and it produces a wide and varied range of modern and traditional drama and which get regularly well reviewed.

Coming up: Improbable Fiction 6th-11th October (Tickets: £8)

Nottingham Arts Theatre

This is more than just an amateur theatre; it is a true community theatre that is run by volunteers and anyone can attend auditions and get involved. Productions are quite infrequent but there are regular workshops and Improv classes.

Coming up: A Midsummer Nights Dream: 1st-8th November (Tickets: £5-10).

Visit the Impact website’s Arts section for complete & updated listings. All prices listed are only available with a valid student card.

Clarissa Woodberry