News in Brief

Top of the Charts

The Sunday Times Good University Guide has ranked the University of Nottingham as the 13th best university in the country. Despite having dropped six places since last year, Notts has maintained its high standard with thirty-three of Nottingham’s schools and departments being rated as ‘excellent’, an accomplishment only matched by Cambridge and Manchester.

Shottingham?

Gun shots fired in Nottingham have dropped by 84% in the five years since the murder of Arnold jeweller Marian Bates. Statistics have plummeted with only 8 shots being fired this year, a stark comparison to the 51 shots fired in 2003.

Full Steam Ahead for Parkway Station

December 2008 was supposed to mark the opening of the East Midlands Parkway station, yet the project was delayed due to legal issues concerning a new access road and land use. However, a recent withdrawal of complaints regarding the access road means there are now no more obstacles to the project being completed. The station is now expected to open in early 2009.

University Vision for Bilborough Academy

Plans to create an academy in Bilborough have been unveiled. The new academy, scheduled to open in September 2009, will be jointly sponsored and developed by The University of Nottingham and millionaire businessman David Samworth. Professor Di Birch, former Pro-Vice-Chancellor of the project, believes the university’s involvement can raise attainment and ambition in an area notorious for poor academic performance.

New Physiology Unit Unleashed

A new physiology unit has been opened at the University of Nottingham; the David Greenfield Human Physiology Unit was officially opened on 30th September 2008. Research at the unit, based at the Queen’s Medical Centre, is focused on obesity, diabetes and muscle function, and is one of the leading centres of its kind in the country.

Disappointment for Robin Hood’s Merry Men

An attempt to smash the world record for number of people dressed as Robin Hood in one place occurred at Nottingham’s recent Goose Fair. Despite assembling 993 Robins the record was not broken: the title still remains with the 1,119 Robin Hoods who gathered at Nottingham Castle in March 2008.

Noisy Neighbour Gets His Comeuppance

A Nottingham man has had 33 items of electrical equipment confiscated after playing music so loud it made neighbours’ picture frames vibrate. David Myrie appeared shocked when Nottingham magistrates told him he had to forfeit the goods, including TVs, CD players, cassette players and speakers. Myrie, representing himself, urged magistrates not to take his electrical equipment: “I would like my things back,” he said.

New Vice-Chancellor for University

Professor David Greenaway has succeeded Sir Colin Campbell as the new Vice-Chancellor of the university, having previously held the position of Pro-Vice-Chancellor.

Disabled Woman Fights Off Mugger with Crutches

A woman, reliant on crutches due to a birth defect, used her walking aid to fend off a mugger while he attempted to steal her suitcase. The incident occurred at the Victoria Centre while she was waiting for a taxi. Although the persistent attacker had approached her only minutes before on Glasshouse Street, he still left empty-handed.

Nocturnal Golf Arrives in Lenton

The Riverside Golf Centre in Lenton is reportedly among the first in the country to offer night-time golf. In an attempt to make the sport more accessible all year round, the club is providing players with illuminated golf balls and glow-in-the-dark markers pointing out the bunkers.

By Emma Shipley