Tarantino, What a Basterd!

Brad Pitt in Inglourious Basterds

Brad Pitt in Inglourious Basterds

So the first picture was released a week ago from the set of Tarantino’s latest effort along with a very curious name change. ‘Inglorious Bastards’ is no more; we should now refer to QT’s WW2 epic as ‘Inglourious Basterds’. Why this sudden name change has come about is unknown, whether it be a major plot point or simply to dodge the censors but fans seem to be taking this curious twist lightly, maybe as the news was coupled with a tantalising screenshot of Brad Pitt as Lieutenant Aldo Raine, leader of ‘The Basterds’. The story revolves around a group of Jewish soldiers sent on a suicide mission to kill as many Nazis as possible behind enemy lines, with a parallel plotline involving a French woman named Shosanna Dreyfus who witnessed her family murdered at the hands of the Nazis and her subsequent escape to become a cinema operator in Paris. The second part of Dreyfus’ storyline is rumoured to be filmed in French New Wave black and white, similarly to how Kill Bill went from colour to black and white, and even turning into anime for one scene. Inglorious Bastards as it was has been in the pipeline for Quentin Tarantino for almost ten years, so it a relief to finally see at least some of the fruits of his work so far; the image Pitt looks very promising, capturing the intense look we’d expect to see from Raine. This role follows a string of more serious characters played by Pitt in recent years starting from Babel and up to his exciting role as the lead in David Fincher’s The Curious Case of Benjamin Button. Inglourious Basterds hasn’t been an easy ride for QT, but after all the delays with shooting and a leaked script on the internet, it seems that Tarantino isn’t going to let us down yet.

Luke Mead