Style

A Fashion Guide To Nottingham…

Usher in the New Year by discovering some of Nottingham’s best-kept fashion secrets. Here are my top ten places for student style:

1. Accessories: Kathleen & Lily’s, situated on Mansfield Road, is the perfect place for individual adornments. This vintage shop offers handmade, quality pieces for anyone who loves eclectic style.

2. Beauty: For cosmetics to disguise even the heaviest night in Isis head straight to MAC. Ironically located in Cheapside MAC may not be the most cost effective of places but its worth investing in the basics.

3. Cheap ‘n’ Chic: It doesn’t get much cheaper than the Broadmarsh Centre and this largely and understandably ignore mecca does have a few tricks up its sleeve. For leggings at only £2.50 visit Admire. TK Maxx is great for finding designer underwear at cut throat prices and before heading to any of the fancy dress shops in Nottingham (even Primark) hit the pound shop.

4. Evening Wear: Karen Millen can always be relied upon for quality fabric and a flattering fit. For those with a precarious bank balance the sales this year are sure to offer bargains.

5. Hair: If your roots are looking more Shakira than SJP make sure Sutherland and Barnett is your next stop. This stylish salon is located on the edge of the lace market and having won Independent Salon Business Newcomer ’08 in the British Hairdressing Awards you won’t regret a visit.

6. High End: Our home-grown fashion icon, Paul Smith, offers a wide range of stunningly classic pieces in his flagship store located in Willoughby House, Byarn Lane.

7. Lingerie: Gash is my favourite store for beautiful underwear. Located on Thurland Street its luxury fabric and playful allure echoes that of Agent Provocateur.

8. Repair: All Alts Clothing Alterations on Lower Parliament Street is perfect for hitching up, nipping in or seamlessly hiding any rips or tears in your beloved garments. Timpson on exchange walk can repair a broken heel or scuffed brogue in no time.

9. Shoes: Jade’s, just off Market Square, offers a wide range of men’s and women’s brands. It’s a small shop but every style is expertly chosen to cater for its young and fashionable clientele.

10. Vintage: The Vintage Warehouse (near Oceana) is an absolute must for all vintage lovers. This place is not for someone in a rush but take to the time to rummage through the piles of clothes and you’re guaranteed to find something you love at a reasonable price.

Smriti Sharma

Style