Conchiglie with Roasted Vegetable and Chorizo Sauce (Serves 5-6)

This is a delicious and easy to cook dish that’s bound to impress. It serves up to six people, which is not bad considering that all together it costs just over a fiver.

Ingredients
3 x red peppers, diced into small pieces (71p – £1.42 for 6)
450g fresh tomatoes, diced into small pieces (61p)
400g tin of chopped tomatoes (33p)
140g tomato puree (25p)
4 cloves of garlic, crushed (around 17p – 34p for one)
1kg Conchiglie pasta (pasta shells) (£1.24)
150g diced chorizo (£1.99)

Instructions
1. Preheat oven to 180°C/ fan 160°C/ gas mark 4.
2. Toss the diced fresh tomatoes and red peppers in olive oil and place on a baking tray. Then roast for approx. 40 minutes.
3. Shallow fry the diced chorizo and crushed garlic in a frying pan (on moderate heat) in the meantime. Chorizo can be eaten raw, so it is only necessary to cook it for a few minutes. Fry the garlic until golden-brown.
4. Place the roasted vegetables in a saucepan. Add the chorizo and garlic, and then tomato puree (according to taste). Then throw a tin of chopped tomatoes into the mix. This is the best and not to mention cheapest way to bulk up the meal, without detracting from the taste. Put a lid on the saucepan and leave it on a low/simmering heat for 45 minutes or so, stirring every so often.
5. In the meantime, add 1kg of conchiglie (pasta shells) to a large saucepan full of boiling water. The length of time it takes will be dependent on whether the pasta is fresh or dried, so follow the instructions on the packet.
6. Drain the pasta. Now either mix the sauce in with the pasta shells, or serve the two separately; it’s up to you. Enjoy

Jonathan Tye