The Last Action Hero

“The stability of the world has been thrown into peril again! The future of mankind is at risk! Who will save us?” #Da dada da#

There are action heroes, and there are ACTION HEROES! Today, there is a new type of rogue action hero that has set the bar higher than ever before, bringing heightened satisfaction to audiences hanging on to every high-octane chase, death-defying moment and anything-goes knock-out fight.
First and foremost, today’s modern ‘Action Hero’ must have bravery beyond the common man, be able to go above and beyond the call of duty, and that means more than just climbing a tree. In bravery 101 the subjects are put to the test, from jumping across buildings to chasing villains through derelict and unfamiliar territory. All this in a day’s work! Bravery works hand in hand with adept fighting skills and style. Relying on gadgets can only get you so far! Skills in Capoeira, Kung-fu and even Parkour separate action heroes from ‘Action Heroes’! They must think fast and use their imaginations to deliver decisive blows. Who remembers Bourne’s ‘book fight’ in ‘The Bourne Ultimatum’? He really taught the Moroccan a lesson (Wink!).

To out-do your opponent physically is one thing, but mentally is another strength of the Hero. The pen (or the spoken word) is mightier than the sword. A highly intellectual, sharp action hero can turn a tricky situation into his favour with his unmistakable gift for the gab. His speech leads to the most memorable of lines, “I don’t know who you are, I don’t know what you want….But what I do have are a very particular set of skills…Skills that make me a nightmare for people like you…I will look for you, I will find you, and I will kill you.” (Taken) Action heroes have more than just a hard facade, they are also tough lovers. There is always time for female interest, despite the circumstances.
The aesthesis of the ‘Hero’ is completed with today’s increasingly chiselled Hollywood actor in varied attire. Blue Speedos anyone?

‘Action Heroes’ need that wild card, something that makes them original, but more distinctively, that drives them on both sides, evil to go with the good. Following this criterion, I am tied between anti-hero Jason Bourne and Die Hard’s John McClane. There is no better guarantee for a perfect standoff, or better odds for the underdog, than these two hardcore action guys. The former for all seriousness, the latter for unashamed fun. Both are paragons of modern action cinema.

Ian Aryeh-Thompson