Dance event of the Month – DJ Yoda and Shy FX @ Mnstr/Dollop, Stealth

Heading the lineup in Rescue Rooms was London boy DJ Yoda, recognised as one of the premiere turntablists of his generation. Combining an awe-inspiring mixing technique with a schizophrenic record collection, his cartoony brand of genre spanning hip-hop had the crowd bouncing non-stop. Some more discerning club-goers might find his song selection slightly saccharine, but in terms of atmosphere and sheer turntable wizardry, ten out of ten. The big name of the night for the Detonate room was D&B heavyweight Shy FX, industry pioneer. Despite a reputation as a purveyor of the more accessible side of the genre, he delivered a well-rounded set with more depth than expected. A good helping of reggae infused jump-up was balanced by a healthy dose of liquid anthems, and a pleasantly surprising nod to dubstep helped polish off an accomplished set.

Unfortunately, Surkin, child prodigy of DJ Mehdi and rising star of the electro scene was a no show on the ground floor of Stealth. Nevertheless we were blessed with an array of Dollop’s lesser known talent. D’Lex, MeMeMe, Newmano and Moses from Thoughtless Hussies all took to the decks over the course of the night. They provided a broad electro showcase covering the mainstream and popular, but also including some dirtier bass heavy tracks, as well as bringing in a strong element of the melodic minimal and the more soulful techno-house. Perhaps with the absence of Surkin it will not be a night to remember, but the Dollop DJ’s still put on a fine show.

Angus Drummond and Edd Gent

GigsMusic