Travel

I went travelling and I took… my boyfriend … and left him there

Just like many gizmos and gadgets, boyfriends can be invariably handy to take with you on the road. They can lift heavy things, protect you down dark alleys, and *ahem* entertain you on a rainy day in Thailand. But much more than this, they can be a comfort and support when you’re homesick, and calm you down when your passport’s been stolen.

It was for the latter reasons, I suppose, that I thought my boyfriend’s suggestion to meet me in Australia half way through my Round-the-world-trip would be a good idea. But it turned out to be a very bad one – we split up on the day we were reunited.

You see, what I couldn’t have predicted was that upon my own arrival to Australia I would be offered a lift from Darwin to Adelaide, that I would throw caution to the wind, and that together with two strangers I would drive, camp, explore, drink and dance my way through the red centre, consequently meeting a rather damp spirited boyfriend three weeks late in Sydney instead of Cairns.

What I should have predicted though, is that when push came to shove I would always choose an opportunity for an adventure over prior engagements, my longing to meet new people over the comfort of regular, expected conversation, and my independence over anything I felt might hold me back.

As you would expect, from the moment of meeting up life was a living hell, and when it finally seemed the fighting had stopped, an unfortunate incident occurred on a night out in Bryon Bay whereby, while I was having a quick but passionate kiss with a (relatively) new acquaintance (in what I thought was a very well concealed corner), Andy discovered me, shouted that I’d broken his heart (and some other things that would make your granny faint) and ran off. The next morning, I booked my bus, I packed, and I left, and I didn’t tell him where I was going.

I realise I am currently being severely judged by couples far and wide, but it was never my intention to use this story as evidence for why travelling with your boyfriend/girlfriend is a bad idea; only why travelling with a boyfriend from home was a bad idea for me – and perhaps others who crave freedom, unrestraint and fun instead of whiney boy tears.

So my assessment of the ‘boyfriend’ feature is this: leave him behind. You might think he’s going to be handy to have around, but trust me he’s just far too big and heavy to fit in a backpack!

Alex Kasozi

Follow Impact Travel on Twitter

Image by Summer Skyes 11 via Flickr

Travel