The snow has melted and now it’s just bloody cold. Finding the energy do anything is hard at the best of times and is made much harder when you wake up to find your bed sheets frozen rigid. Try this recipe for a quick, cheap and delicious way to fill you up and warm your bones. Perfect for lunch or dinner, you can also have it on standby in the freezer for reheating when you are pressed for time.
1 cup of Red Lentils (£1.38/kg)
4 Rashers of smoked bacon (£1.99/pack of 8) – diced
2 sticks of celery (78p for bunch) – sliced
1 red pepper (60p) – finely chopped
1 medium onion – finely chopped
2 cloves of garlic – crushed or chopped
1 tsp Tomato puree
½ tsp Paprika
½ tsp Cayenne pepper
1 pint of vegetable stock (£1.54/100g pot of Boullion)
Prep time – 10 minutes
Cooking – 20 – 30 minutes
1. Heat 2 tbsps of olive oil in a deep pot.
2. Fry onion on medium heat until soft and transparent, adding the garlic mid-way.
3. Add in all the bacon, fry for 3 minutes and then chuck in the celery and red pepper with the tomato puree.
4. Add the paprika and Cayenne pepper. Stir and leave to simmer on low heat for 5 minutes.
5. Add vegetable stock and lentils. Stir and bring to the boil for a few moments.
6. Leave to simmer on low heat for 20 – 25 minutes.
7. Serve with buttered toast.