Travel

Tourist Millionaires: The Real Effect of Tourism in India

The land of Bollywood, curry and Gandhi, India offers an array of majestic adventures to embark upon. Every year roughly 750,000 tourists from Britain visit India for business or pleasure, and with these figures increasing annually India has become the fastest-growing Asia-Pacific market for the international tourist. Package holidays allow tourists to admire the scenery and soak in luxury for relatively cheap prices, while basking in the colourful Indian culture. For me, the prospect of sun and sea during the cold, miserable month of January was too exciting an opportunity to miss. So I hopped on a plane along with many other pale English hopefuls and jetted off to embrace the sun!

Tourists frequent the picture-perfect beaches of Goa in hope of relaxation away from their hectic lives at home. However, I quickly realised that searching for relaxation is a little optimistic as a tourist here. You become the gold dust of the locals’ finances, and they will not leave you alone until they make some form of gain. Before I had even set foot on the beach, an onslaught of taxi drivers, market sellers, boat owners, beggars and hostel workers swarmed in to offer me their ‘best price’. I felt like some prized meat at a cattle market. What was happening to my paradise? Had Shilpa Shetty set foot on Palolem beach, or did the tourist now warrant the same attention from the locals? My precious notion of a picture-perfect Palolem paradise was slowly being washed away by a swarm of these ‘tourist traffickers’ surrounding the innocent tourists. I must admit, my Western politeness often gave way to frustration and annoyance with the constant harassment of beggars and sellers while trying to relax.

Despite this stain in my ideal holiday image, the beautiful scenery remains preserved. You become a human camera, capturing beauty with every angle you observe – up until another seller approaches offering the same items as the seller before, and the seller after. With an untouched beauty and natural surroundings, tourists fall hostage to the colours and wonder. An array of spices, smells and sounds send your senses wilder and deeper into India’s chaotic nature. However, the food is very different to the local Indian takeout joint down the road. The homeland of vindaloo and naan bread, you better ensure you take some pills with you for the infamous ‘Delhi belly’ that follows!

Amongst the gleaming delights, tourists are shielded from the brutal realities of the poor. With the wave of tourists arriving in Goa, it has become a hotbed for the poorer citizens of India who wish to profit from the supposed rich tourist’s finances. I felt like I saw Slumdog Millionaire’s children manning the beachfront everywhere I looked. I now understood why physical deformities defined the majority of these beggars. Sadly, these children highlight the truth behind Danny Boyle’s tale. However, winning millions, getting the girl and ending with a dance are not realistic destinies for many of these poor youngsters. I can’t help but wonder whether there is any hope for these poverty-stricken children or whether tourism is simply helping to perpetuate their overwhelming presence.

I must admit, it’s fascinating to observe a culture whose attitudes and general demeanour are so different to the West. A web of chaos and confusion defines the coordination of the country and personally left me absolutely baffled. With one-hand sided car mirrors creating a cloud of constant beeping to allow for overtaking on extremely narrow roads, it’s amazing that Indians have not all died from road accidents! Cows are given free rein on the beaches while police forces line the front awaiting the next intake of Bagshish (bribes) that are used to supplement their salary. This all occurs around the daily power cuts that blacken out the cities and impede life in the towns. I was in complete awe by what seems like an unstructured web of chaos. When asking locals simply why these things are done, the general response was constantly ‘its India’, as if that was a sufficient and obvious answer to my puzzlement. Fair enough.

Shara Julliette Hikmet

Travel
  • Rob
    26 April 2009 at 21:06

Sounds like a cultural journey as well as a literal travel.

• Uncle Kevin
    29 April 2009 at 15:12

What a beautiful written piece. I would have liked a little more information perhaps on the food aspect, like do they BBQ with gas or use traditional fuel, where is the best place for a curry and can you get an authentic kebab in Goa.
    Many people with “deli belly” end up being taken to hospital in ambulances – did this happen, what do you do in a situation like that and can you take valium for dysentry?

• A Alvares
    29 April 2009 at 21:44

Frankly, I am shocked by this article. I am extremely disappointed that Impact magazine, which I normally enjoy reading would publish writing so tinged with condescension and an air of superiority. Instead of an insightful look at tourism in Goa, I personally feel this article reflects views that are at the least stereotypical, and arguably prejudiced. One particular line ‘I must admit, my Western politeness often gave way to frustration and annoyance’ surprised me. The writer is clearly implying that ‘politeness’ is a Western concept, and this is not a view I appreciate or feel can be condoned. Other points such as those addressing the fact that power cuts cripple major cities in India are laughable, and entirely untrue and ignorant. The writer makes valid points about poverty and corruption, but they are exaggerated and sensationalized for the sake of entertainment, which in my opinion makes for very poor journalism.
    Articles such as this one encourage an ignorant and ethno-centric view of India and Indians. One might say that the age of Imperialism is over, but imposing western ideas of success and development upon non-western cultures is nothing but intellectual Imperialism.

Several recent incidents have cast the University of Nottingham in a negative light regarding its treatment of students from ethnic backgrounds, which is very disappointing for International students such as myself. Having articles such as the above published by a magazine that is named the official magazine of the University only further disappoints me.

• Varnika
    29 April 2009 at 22:06

I’m going to be very honest here.
    I agree with almost all the ‘facts’ you described in your article…
    However,
    Do you not consider it a little audacious to label an ENTIRE country “chaotic and confused” based on a few DAYS’ experience??
    Yes, there are cows on the streets, as are beggars, young homeless children and even crooked government officials.

Just because it doesn’t function the way you might be used to, does not make it dysfunctional, or any worse than your own country.
    I do not intend to offend anyone.
    The sole point I aim to drive home is that there is more to India than a tourist living in Goa for a few days could POSSIBLY know!

• Blu Reynolds
    29 April 2009 at 22:34

A badly written piece, obviously penned by an individual used to the package holiday. It fails miserably to give a rounded account of a destination steeped in history and culture. ‘Western condescension’ drips from every word – the sign of a truly narrow writer!

• Varnika
    29 April 2009 at 23:08

p.s. You misspelled GANDHI…

• Adam
    29 April 2009 at 23:38

As an Indian i must say that its pretty distressing that you spell Gandhi’s name wrong but apart from that it is a pretty well written article considering it is seen from the eyes of a foreigner. I think you have overlooked a lot of dynamics that are involved in Goa. When traveling to place like India, you have to understand that with a population of more than a billion that you are bound to run into poverty wherever you go and there are many people working hard to feed their families so be upset by market seller and taxi drivers approaching you, after all everybody has to make their way in the world. As for the police, if you only knew how little they got paid, you would understand how far a little bribe money goes to cover their living expenses. When you’re visiting a foreign country, try and understand why things are the way they are before you criticize it.

• Philip Morton
    30 April 2009 at 09:38

Thanks for spotting the typo, I’ve corrected it to ‘Gandhi’.

• Samrina Patel
    30 April 2009 at 13:55

This article is not a political account of India nor does it portray Indians in a negative light (as A Alvares radically inferred) but it is simply a tourist’s perspective of Goa after probably only a week’s holiday. I think the comments people have written seem very extreme and are reading too much into what is being said. It is a very well written article that shows how tourists respond to the issues in India. As an Indian, living in England I can see how Indian life can overwhelm the tourist after only a short visit. After only a week and a short writing space how can you expect the writer to evaluate all the reasons for the issues she witnessed?

• Angela
    30 April 2009 at 14:18

Funny how someone can be narrow minded enough to form an opinion of an entire subcontinent from one beach!

• Dana
    30 April 2009 at 15:24

Whilst I understand the comments opposing this article, I do feel that it is informative in the aspect of what to expect when travelling to Goa.Continuous begging is what one should be prepared for and this articale does not beat around this subject.
    As a reader of this article, I have not been discouraged to go to India I simply understand not to think of a travel there as being a relaxing Eden. If anything I appreciate the cultural differences and feel it is something to embrace. I would be excited to find a cow on the beach!
    The beauty of the city is not doubted and is a well written informative piece.

• Grace
    30 April 2009 at 16:43

I think that the above comments are far too critical. I am sure that Shara was just trying to write an eloquent piece about her experiences in India, which she certainly manages to achieve. She justifiably raises some of the frustrations she had on her trip and I’m sure most of us can empathise with her experiences e.g. being hassled on the beach when all you want to do is relax and be left alone!

I’m sure Shara was not trying to make generalisations about the whole of India or even Indian culutre, merely to reflect on her own experiences. I think her article makes India sound exciting and unique and certianly somewhere I would like to go and visit! I also think she makes some very insiteful comments about the affect of tourism on Goa. Well done.

• Varnika
    30 April 2009 at 16:52

@ Samrina : We, or at the very least, I, do not expect the writer to POSSIBLY evaluate ALL aspects of India, for the simple reason that there ARE so many. My point here was also not what she mentions seeing in Goa, I very well understand how overwhelming it would be for a tourist in India.
    The point here is, exactly like you said, HOW can the writer, after only a week in the subcontinent and a short writing space, presume to know the workings of a country?
    “Amongst the gleaming delights, tourists are shielded from the brutal realities of the poor.”

Can you name any ONE country of the world, that would proudly DISPLAY its shortcomings to all the tourists that visited??
    Perhaps the writer should commend the fact that we don’t try to HIDE our faults!

“whether tourism is simply helping to perpetuate their overwhelming presence”
    I would LOVE an elucidation on HOW tourism could POSSIBLY be perpetuating their presence?

@Adam:
    “As for the police, if you only knew how little they got paid, you would understand how far a little bribe money goes to cover their living expenses.”

1. I do not, under any circumstances condone bribery. Do you?
    2. The police officers get paid enough to support their families. And bribery is NOT as common as “Bollywood” might have implied.
    3. This one is for both Adam and the author: YES, bribery does exist in India. Name one country that doesn’t have its fair share of corrupt officials???

• Varnika
    30 April 2009 at 17:02

@ Grace:

“tourists are shielded from the brutal realities of the poor. ”

“A web of chaos and confusion defines the coordination of the country”

“it’s amazing that Indians have not all died from road accidents! Cows are given free rein on the beaches while police forces line the front awaiting the next intake of Bagshish (bribes) that are used to supplement their salary. ”

I would call these generalisations. They could definitely have been worded slightly better, if only to imply that this is purely what the author conceives and not what India actually IS.
    This article is no different than me (an Indian student studying at the University) going to Las Vegas and then stating that Americans roam around on the streets drinking and gambling all day!!!

• Samrina Patel
    30 April 2009 at 17:18

Varnika I think you are being overly sensitive. The tourist is just displaying aspects of her holiday that struck her and ironically show the effects that India has on the tourist. You are being very biased and one minded in your comments. You cannot deny that the realities of poverty are brutal in India and that Goa does not display the full extent of this. I recently went to Goa and the “overwhelming presence” of the beggars has seemed to have quadrupled from the last time I was there, mainly due to the fact that more tourists are visiting. Additionally, directed to your last comment, just because bribery exists in other countries does not make it acceptable! Doesn’t Grace’s comment that she has been convinced to visit India show you that your one minded comments do not pose much relevance?

• Arjun Patel
    30 April 2009 at 18:06

As an Indian I am amazed by some of the criticism this poor girl has received on this story.
    I found the piece very amusing and the writer portrays some of the less appealing aspects of Indian life as well as the beauty.
    As for being condescending, the writer clearly writes that she finds its “fascinating to observe a culture whose attitudes and general demeanour are so different to the West.” This is not condescending but seems to be showing a certain amount of admiration.
    A Alvares has launched a baseless attack and his attempts to tie this into the recent issues at Nottingham regarding racism are laughable.
    I thought the writer has a great style of writing and I hope to see more.

• RJV
    30 April 2009 at 18:13

I am also a student who could be considered of ‘ethnic decent’ but I don’t find the article to be at all colonialist or arrogant. Travel writing is a notoriously difficult genre and I think the author’s attempt to capture both the good and bad points of Goa using gentle humour reflects accurately what I feel. I don’t believe the author is naive enough to be applying what she saw in Goa to the whole of the rest of India and was making a couple of generalisations to underline how she felt.

• natasha
    30 April 2009 at 18:48

A very well written piece. I would just like to say that obviously everyone is entitled to their own opinion and the freedom to speak about what they disagree with.
    However, i think to label the writer as narrow and ignorant is just a contradiction. This article is from someone who clearly isn’t used to the customs in India.. and that is not her fault. She was just reporting her point of view, and i’m sure that when she claims that India is ‘chaotic’ and the jokes about the chaos of market-sellers… what you should all take into account is that of course someone who is so un-used to that way of life will be overwhelmed.
    Of course, if you are from India or have some link to the country, then you will be familiar with all that was described and thus bound to feel insulted. I’m not blaming you, as i might be if someone hounded my home country. But to insinuate that the writer is narrow minded and ignorant is just not fair. Don’t expect everyone to understand all the types of cultures out there. Yes, we must respect each others cultures, but she was only stating her perspective of the place she visited. Maybe she did expect it to be the tropical culture perceived through so many media spots… but from going there and getting a first hand account on the atmosphere.. i’m sure if she was looking for a beach getaway but maybe she won’t choose it again.
    Every argument has two sides and everyone is entitled to their opinion. There is no need to feel insulted or throw insults…instead teach someone the culture you know to love, and maybe, hopefully, then they can understand it better. Ignorance isn’t bliss… but it’s not a crime either.

• Jess
    30 April 2009 at 21:53

The author of this article has been described as ‘ignorant’. I’m afraid to say that I do believe that the ignorant ones here, are those who have interpreted this article as a word-for-word strictly accurate view of the country as a whole. Clearly, the author was describing -her- experience of just -one- place, in a comic, journalistic way, and I think she succeeded in what I am assuimg to have been her aim-to provide an informative and entertaining piece. Anyone who now expects to stroll up to India and find exactly what is described above is deluded!This was one-off personal adventure, and it certainly sounds like an exciting one too!

• Varnika
    1 May 2009 at 01:39

@Samrina

I clarified from my FIRST comment here that I do not intend to offend. I was merely voicing my opinion. Not once did I use any words like narrow-minded, condescending, or any others to describe the author or the article.
    I was simply voicing my opinion on how she might have written the article in a slightly better way, that maybe might not raise so many comments.

I NEVER denied that any of the facts she has stated are true, including poverty.
    I SPECIFICALLY mentioned that I do NOT condone bribery.
    And my comments, were anything but insulting to ANYONE.

You could go back and read all of them, and if there is ONE where I launch a personal attack directly at the author, tell me!

ONCE more I am going to clarify, my only intention here was to perhaps make the author aware of the fact that a few aspects of her article could have been slightly better worded. I do NOT think that the author has or was trying to get across a biased opinion of the country, and I’m sure it just came across a little different than she intended.

And when I posted a comment directly aimed at you, Samrina, I wasn’t launching a personal attack. It’s just that I like to answer each point clearly enough that nobody has any trouble understanding, and with reference to your comment, my reply would be easier to follow!!!

This tiny difference of opinions here over this article has obviously gotten out of hand.

@ Everyone: Yes, it seems clear that the author is not biased, and the problem is perhaps nothing more than a slight miscommunication on her part.

@ Everyone else: There were some aspects we did not approve of, and we voiced our opinion. I think everyone has a pretty good idea of what we were trying to imply. Perhaps it’s time for a truce now?

• Shara
    1 May 2009 at 10:32

whilst I am slightly overwhelmed by the comments this article has received, may I clarify that I did not intend to offend or insult anyone. Unfortunately a lot of the article was edited out so an explanation to how I came to my conclusions were not explained. My experiences backpacking around Goa and talking to many many of the locals provided the portrayal of India that I have articluated in the article. I’m aware that perhaps I should have worded some sentences better to elucidate that I was writing about India purely through the prism of Goa. This is not a political article but my account as a tourist visiting an Indian tourist hotspot. I absolutely loved India and would encourage anyone to go but wanted to make travellers aware that it is nt a typical holiday destination (as I falsely believed) but a major culture shock that all of you have to appreciate. I think everyone has made their points and I will ensure to be more penickity with wording. Thank you to all those who understood the point I was trying to make.

The author x

• Alvares
    1 May 2009 at 22:07

Following the responses to my comment, I would like to say that I was in no way trying to ‘launch a baseless attack’ on the author, as someone mentioned, nor trying to label her as ‘ignorant’. I would never insinuate that after reading one peice of writing. I was simply voicing my opinion on a peice of writing that provoked an emotional response in me.

• A. Trivedi
    1 May 2009 at 23:07

You say a lot of your comments were edited? I don’t see how Impact magazine would choose to edit parts and leave what seems to be a narrow-minded description of an entire country from the “prism of Goa”… ONE BEACH? Really.
    Obviously you haven’t travelled because then you wouldn’t be so ignorant to the ways of other cultures bar the brilliant West. If so then perhaps this will teach you to be more open-minded to different countries and different ways of life. The whole world does not circle around how the West do things otherwise the entire world would probably be in recession. India is not all chaos and disorder as you so love to point out numerous times, it really is just how it is, and that’s India. It works for them and has been working since their independence.
    How could you believe it was going to be a “typical holiday destination”? It’s not Aspen. It’s rugged and raw and real. It’s not created for the fantasies and dreams of Western tourists to be realised.
    Your account is hurtful to Indians to be honest and whether you intended to or not, it’s been written in a way which demeans the Indian way of life and the way India functions. It is not the West, that’s why it is the EAST. To expect something of a culture you have never encountered and to impose those expectations and then regard them as being “stained” is disgraceful.
    And as for it being “amazing that Indians have not all died from road accidents!”- Well that’s because they’re all bloody good drivers.

• Vanessa Anne Esi Brown
    2 May 2009 at 04:49

I personally feel that the article was informative and interesting. As the writer has commented above, her article was edited before publication which explains the lack of justification for some of her claims. Nonetheless, i agree that she probably did not intend her article to be a piece if investigative travel journalism but more “A Student’s Guide To…” But I do agree with Varnika’s comment that there are somethings that she could have worded slightly “better”. As a writer/journalist one must be aware of the power of lexical choice and syntax!

• Tim
    2 May 2009 at 09:06

this is a student writing in a student paper, not a journalist or a professional writer. I think some of you should be absolutely ashamed for attacking this girl who wrote a good STUDENT travel piece, which she highlights was not intending to harm others. This also was not written by an Elizabeth Swan but a Shara Hikmet, does that not imply that she may be from ethic decent herself? Those who have incited racism or imperialist concerns are the most ignorant comments I have ever read! Jasmine Patwalia I feel like you should be the one ashamed of youself! As an Indian I was was absolutely shocked by your comments, more so than the article, which isn’t even that shocking! disgraceful!

• Rob
    2 May 2009 at 14:33

“This also was not written by an Elizabeth Swan but a Shara Hikmet, does that not imply that she may be from ethic decent herself?”

That does not mean anything, you inherit nothing through ethnicity, if you are brought up in the UK, you are not Indian, your are British. Im not going to say what I think about this article, but I will point out your fallacy. Just becuase someone may have a non-standard european name, or even (not true necessarily in this case) brown skin doesnt mean that they arent culturally western and effected by the same norms and attitudes as someone like “Elizabeth Swan”.
    Furthermore “As an Indian”, wtf does that mean, dont ‘speak’ on behalf of your identity, it is what YOU think, as a human, being Indian or whatever doesnt mean you will think one way or the other.

• Jasmine Patwalia
    2 May 2009 at 14:53

Fair enough she wrote about the poverty and so forth, but the sentence “I must admit my Western politeness often gave way to frustration and annoyance…” What exactly is she trying to imply?? As her name showing that she is of an ethnic minority, surely it means that she should be more understanding and appreciative of other cultures? I do give her some praise for noticing the poverty which is shocking in India, but to judge the whole country based on one beach is something I do not appreciate. And where exactly do these blackouts occur? I travel to India every year and I have never been “impeded” by these so called blackouts! More research is needed as India is such a vast country.
    I personally am offended by this article, and Tim if you’re not then fine by me, but don’t criticise me for voicing my offence.

• Shara
    3 May 2009 at 00:24

I am in utter disbelief that people have inferred that I am not appreciative of other cultures. I went to India to gain an insight into another culture and wanted to show the vast differences by juxtaposing it with the Western attitudes that some readers would be familiar with. I am not an investigative researcher; I wasn’t writing about India as a whole, I can’t do that when I haven’t experienced all of India. I simply wrote a tourist account on my experience backpacking along the coast of Goa (to a multitude of beaches not just the one as this version insinuates) and how I felt that tourism had affected that experience. Whether or not a writer likes or dislikes a destination, it remains a personal account of their experience rather than a depiction of an entire country or culture. If you believe that a writer is in some way negatively portraying a country or culture, that you have a strong connection to, then teach them the culture and why you believe that they have been mislead. Those comments that failed to do this were writing purely for insult and were disregarded. To Jasmine, I apologise if you felt offended by this article, even though you managed to read over the parts where I praised the culture, but your earlier comments were uncalled for and this was exemplified when they were deleted.

To answer some of the questions:
    1) The blackouts occurred at least three times every night that I was in Goa due to the amount of lights used on the beachfront. The owner of two shops beside the beach informed me that the blackouts were an impediment to his business and that in monsoon season they sometimes lasted up to three days whereby he had to sit in darkness and close his shops.

2) Some of the drivers I experienced in Goa were negligent with big vans overtaking other big vehicles and running over both my boyfriend and my feet on numerous occasions, which I did not appreciate. Our taxi driver told us that the government wasn’t willing to widen the roads and the drivers were reacting to this by driving carelessly.

3) The ‘web of chaos’ that I describe was not supposed to be a negative portrayal and perhaps chaotic was the wrong word to use. Yes I found in chaotic, but in a good way. I’m fascinated by how India cooperates and concluded the article but implying that I accepted a way of life that I was not used to.

4) My ‘Western politeness’ was written because I visit the Middle-East annually and am told that British politeness is too much for Asians who prefer to be frank and assertive. I was not implying that Indians are not polite but that there is a different set of politeness required. I was perhaps wrong.

I personally loved India and the Indian culture and am horrified that people would think otherwise, which I can admit was an error in miscommunication on my behalf. I appreciate and thank all those who provided constructive criticism and I shall be more aware in future of wording and syntax.

• Rob
    3 May 2009 at 03:40

EUGH “As her name showing that she is of an ethnic minority, surely it means that she should be more understanding and appreciative of other cultures?”
    Not at all! Does that mean as I have have Gypsy ancestry I am more custom to being less prejudiced against other cultures or countires? A white american is just as likely to make generalisations and have a cockeyed view of the UK, despite ‘common’ ethnicity or ‘culture.You are just as surely propergating racial steroetypes in the fact somehow ethnic minorites have a larger capacity to ‘understand and appreciate’ ‘other’ cultures, as much as “I must admit my Western politeness often gave way to frustration and annoyance…” What exactly is she trying to imply?? ”
    Is assumed by you to mean ‘westerners are more polite than others’. It seems hypocritical that you criticise stereotypes then suggest you are open to one yourself. In a nutshell a person is likely to mis-represent any country if they are a travel journalist, mainly because the discipline requires reflection onto that persons own percieved identity, I dont think ‘westerners’ are any more likely to mis-represent a country than anyone else. Its all about the individual, their education and their way of thinking that results in their conclusions.

• Rishana
    3 May 2009 at 16:40

I personally thought that this was a well written article of a given personal account of Goa. Shara has clearly informed everyone that she was not writing about India on a whole but just the places in which she has visited and the experiences she had encountered. It was a complete new cuture which she was living through and all she has done is written them down in this article which, for some, is wrong and i don’t understand why. She is clearly not criticising India, there are many countries whereby the drivers all think they own the roads and can do what they want, it happens. This is not offensive or rude, there are people that drive around carelessly and its a fact!
    “I must admit, it’s fascinating to observe a culture whose attitudes and general demeanour are so different to the West.” We can all see here that Shara was fascinated by her experience and the different culture. I think people should be less criticising when giving their opinions, especially when it doesn’t even argue against what is written down in the article. After reading about this, I would be happy to be able to visit Goa and see other peoples ways of life.

• Jasmine Patwalia
    3 May 2009 at 17:31

Rob, I don’t actually agree with my statement regarding her name, I was just trying to point out Tim’s flawed argument, maybe I should have made that clearer.

And Shara I do understand that you weren’t writing about India as a whole, but then why conclude that these ‘blackouts’ occur in all major cities? Also, people have been making comments which have been worse than mine, I have not insinuated anything personal about you like other people have, my earlier comments were simply to highlight some careless mistakes you have made. And if you noticed in the most recent comment, I have not ‘read over’ parts which praised that country, I feel no need to voice my opinions about them as they didn’t cause any offence.