August Recipe – Blue Cheese Nachos with Peach Salsa

This recipe is not only paradise for nacho lovers in quest of something that transcends the standard, but is superb for August when peaches are in season, as they both taste better and cost less than during the rest of the year. Often fresh peaches are only available in punnets, so as a tip you can use the remaining ones to make a smoothie or perhaps more suitably for the average student predilection – a cocktail! Besides salsa providing a refreshing accompaniment for a humid summer’s day, peaches blissfully complement blue cheese.

Serves 1 as a main meal or 2 as an appetizer

100g tortilla chips (25p – Sainsbury’s Basics)
150g strong blue cheese, crumbled (£1.23 – 150g Rosenborg Danish Blue at Sainsbury’s)

For the peach salsa:

½ red onion, diced (16.5p – Sainsbury’s 3 onions for £1)
1 red chilli, finely chopped (optional) 
2 peaches (or nectarines) (50p – Sainsbury’s punnet of 4 for £1)

1 tomato, seeds removed and diced (Sainsbury’s £1.78/kg)
3 tbsp lime juice (18p – Sainsbury’s loose limes)
1 tbsp fresh chopped mint or 1 tsp dried mint

1. Preheat the oven to 200°C/400°F/Gas Mark 6.

2. Cut an X at the bottom of each peach. Submerge them in a bowl of boiling water for 10 minutes, or until the skins start to loosen. Then place in cold water for a few seconds so that they are cool enough to handle. Peel the skin off both peaches, cut them in half, remove the stones and dice.

3. Mix the chopped peaches in a bowl with the rest of the salsa ingredients. If it’s watery, I recommend placing in a sieve before serving, as the last thing you need is soggy nachos!

4. Place a thin layer of the tortilla chips onto a baking tray lined with foil. Sprinkle over half of the blue cheese. Repeat this process with the rest of the tortilla chips and blue cheese.

5. Place the baking tray in the oven for 5 minutes or until the cheese melts. Then serve with the salsa and indulge!

Rebecca Legg

• David Nutt
    3 December 2009 at 14:52