Inglourious Basterds review

Despite containing scenes of warped, gruesome violence, this is a product of love for Tarantino. The long periods of dialogue that build up tension are prevalent throughout, particularly in the masterful first chapter. Film nerds have been chatting online about this film for years, proclaiming that it will be Tarantino’s best. They weren’t far off. Scenes from Kill Bill Vol. 1, Reservoir Dogs and Pulp Fiction will be embedded in my mind for the rest of my life; thankfully Inglourious Basterds is another to add to this list.

All too often I hear cinema-goers complain about the duration of a film if it passes 120 minutes, which doesn’t apply in this case thanks to the mixture of laughter, fear, horror and tension. Nerds outside were saying they thought it had a weak narrative, they were horrifically wrong. Rather than tell you why I hate film snobs, I will just tell you that they were wrong. They were wrong because they went in the cinema with expectations. Go in there with a clear mind, forget the other films; just enjoy the almost ridiculous nature of the story.

There were as many scenes of extreme violence in the film as there are Subways in Nottingham city centre, yet they were completely in context (apart from the Jew Bear scene) and offered a stark reminder of horrors of World War Two. Watch out for the subtitles if you’re not a very cultured person; one guy came out exclaiming that he would have bought a book if he wanted to do that much reading. Oh, and if you’re not a fan of blatant American patriotism then maybe this film isn’t for you.

Once again the casting was masterful. All of the characters drew me in; I thought it was really Goebbels barking orders at his men, I thought it actually was the German film star XXXX helping US and British forces and I actually thought it was Mike Myers playing the token British guy (Ok so not all of the casting was great!).

Inglourious Basterds had a mixed bag of reviews, some lauded it as a masterpiece and some said it was just another Deathproof. It might not be as good as Pulp Fiction et al, but it could join the prestigious group. It will have you on the edge of your seats. Best year of the film so far…

Scott Perkins

• jo owens
    8 September 2009 at 21:11