Music

Festival Review: Where Impact Went

Dot-to-Dot

The Pains of Being Pure at Heart, Vivian Girls, Abe Vigoda, Cyrstal Stilts.

Boasting the best alterative line-up for a one-day event this was about the alternative scene. The day did not disappoint as I was running venue-to-venue to cram as many bands into the day as possible, there was literally something for everyone. Overall the best Dot-to-Dot ever.

Chris Jones

Summer Party

Ladyhawke, The Futureheads, The Rakes, Kano.

Having waited a long time to find out the headliner, I was disappointed to hear Ladyhawke and The Rakes were playing yet again in Nottingham. I was not alone – boos could be heard throughout Ladyhawke’s set. However, The Futureheads, DJ tents and alcohol justified getting out of bed that day.

Chris Jones

Big Chill

Davis Byrne, Amadou and Miriam, Basement Jaxx, Spiritualized.

The Big Chill really lived up to its name ranging from Reggae and Afrobeats, to Country, to Rave and Dance – all inspiring sounds. Surprisingly family-orientated, the festival also had a rough trade shop, yoga sessions, art sales, a showcase of the Woodstock and Environmental Films and a very mixed comedy tent this proved an all-round festival for everyone.

Chris Jones

Summer Sundae

Bon Iver, Wild Beasts, The Domino State, Future of the Left, Monotonix.

The Friday ‘Drowned in Sound’ stage saw last minute Wild Beasts and Gold Panda proving to be the best things on the day. The Streets were in ‘isolation’ so Idlewild stepped up to fill the gap, and did a good job. The hightlights, were Monotonix running 30 minutes over and playing the craziest gig in the middle of the room, and Bon Iver for the epic performance of ‘For Emma’.

Chris Jones

Download

Faith No More, Slipknot, Def Leppard, Trivium, Limp Bizkit

With thousands of metallers decending to Donnigton Park, the atmosphere was buzzing with anticipation. The lineup was extremely promising with bands from the turn of the century’s Nu-Metal craze, Limp Bizkit, Korn and Slipknot can safely be called classics. Trvium and Slipknot were undoubtedly the two highlights, not forgetting the £1 spring rolls of course [not a band].

Matt Lambert

Glade Festival

The ‘best underground music festival in the world’, Glade’s twelve stages offering everything from breakcore to ambience, and friendly atmosphere. Booka Shade seamlessly drove minimal techno into new grounds that made the rain fade into insignificance. The Vapour stage, featuring the best in UK drum and bass, DJ Fresh, Marky and Andy C, won the crowd over. If underground electronica is your scene it is guaranteed to surpass expectations!

Jack Shields

Music