Le Bistrot Pierre review

I was surprised that I hadn’t come across Le Bistrot Pierre before, as it recently celebrated its 15th birthday, and is situated on Milton Street in the centre of Nottingham. It turned out to be a brilliant discovery, serving high standard French cuisine at reasonable prices; the ideal place to spoil yourself with a break from your own cooking! The restaurant was stylishly decorated (with, it has to be said, extremely interesting wallpaper), with a nice atmosphere and great service.

The menu was a refreshing change from the plethora of faux-Italian pizza and pasta restaurants which dominate the city centre. As a starter, the fromage grille is particularly good if you can indulge in a pot of melted St Marcelin cheese, served with sourdough toast and spiced chutney on a rustic wooden platter. All of Le Bistrot Pierre’s steaks are matured on the bone for at least 21 days and sourced from prime Scottish beef. Nonetheless my date thought the steak was not quite as impressive as the menu had suggested (perhaps because he’s a little too British to appreciate the French disdain for well-done meat). The chef’s special was duck in orange sauce, beautifully cooked and presented, which I would happily recommend to anyone.

Le Bistrot Pierre also have a ‘Dine with Wine’ menu available on the first and third Wednesday of every month for £24.95. A selection of starters, mains and desserts are served with a glass of wine chosen to complement the flavours of the dish. It’s a great way to try wines you wouldn’t normally choose without committing yourself to an entire bottle.

Lucy Hayes