Nottingham not up to the Challenge

A Nottingham University team gave a good account of themselves but were ultimately defeated by Girton College, Cambridge, in the first round of BBC quiz show University Challenge.

In a keenly contested match, Nottingham led briefly but fell to lose 180-145, with Girton staging a comeback in the final third of the show. Presenter Jeremy Paxman stated that he had thought that Nottingham would “have done a bit better than that”, but he had certainly been impressed by team member Ian Burt’s exceptional knowledge of birdsong early in the programme. Whilst Nottingham scored a total that almost placed them amongst the four highest scoring losing teams, they were unfortunately outscored in subsequent episodes.

Team captain Philip Whitehead spoke to Impact about his experiences in the famous student competition: “It was a great experience to get to appear on the show, and represent the UK’s best university. I’d also ask more Nottingham students to come along and try out for next year’s team – have a go and do our university proud!”

Whitehead also commented on the intensive training undertaken in Mooch by his team, including Burt, Sam Dodgin and Tom Jackson: “ ‘Are you Smarter than a Ten Year Old?’ is one I can remember being popular…”

Dave Jackson