Pan Seared Tuna with Sweet Potato Chips and a Green Pea Coriander Pesto (Serves 2)

Total cooking and preparation time – 40 mins

Ingredients:
2 tuna steaks
Sweet potato (use the ones with purple skin if possible as they are the best texture for baking) – 600 grams (roughly 2 medium sized potatoes)
Smoked paprika (normal paprika can also be used and is easier to find) – 2 to 3 teaspoons
Walnuts: 35 grams
Garlic: 2 cloves (for the pesto)
Fresh coriander – 100 grams
Green peas – 100 grams
Olive oil – 3 table spoons (for the pesto)
White wine vinegar (if you don’t have it then use any vinegar) – 2 table spoons

If you fancy fish and chips with mushy peas but want a more healthy option and something a bit different, then this dish is very simple and tasty. If you are worried about cost don’t be too put off by the tuna steaks as you can get a packet of 6 frozen steaks from Aldi for around £3.50.
First of all, chop up the sweet potato into chunky chips and place them on a baking tray. Make sure to gently drizzle a bit of oil on the tray so the chips won’t stick. Add seasoning and sprinkle the paprika onto the chips to get a delicious sweet and smoked flavour. Preheat the oven to 200 degrees and bake the chips for 30 minutes, turning them over after 15 minutes.

To make the pesto, put the garlic and walnuts into a processor and blend them up. Next, add the coriander and green peas and blend. The consistency should now be pulp-like. To get a more smooth mushy texture, add the oil and white wine vinegar and continue processing. Add seasoning.
For the tuna steak, put a small amount of butter (just enough to cover the base) in a frying pan and put it over a medium to low heat. Cook for 2 minutes on both sides. If you want a bit of extra veg to go with this dish, garlic mushrooms go really well. Chop 80 grams of mushrooms into slices and cook for 3-4 minutes with 2 cloves of finely chopped garlic and butter.

Bart Levinson