Seven Nights In Nottingham

The huge choice of bars and clubs here in Nottingham can be a bit daunting for the Freshers amongst us. So, we’ve picked out a few gems to inspire some alternative nights out – variety is the spice of life, as they say. However, this list is by no means exhaustive and we’d be mightily impressed if you managed each one in a week! If you’re no longer a Fresher *sob*, these nights are recommended for you as well and we strongly suggest you get out there and party, in true re-Fresher spirit!

Monday @ BZR??
Monday nights are a good excuse to get down to BZR. Located in the city centre, just 5 minutes from the clubs, this dancing bar is the ultimate pre-lash destination. Whilst it is unlikely to be the main feature of your evening, you will be welcomed by banging beats and friendly bar staff who will be more than happy to get the party started with fish bowls, trebles for singles and cheap shots. So, make the most of it before you’re faced with Oceana prices and enjoy! 

Tuesday @ Tantra??
Live acoustic music and half price cocktails at Tantra on Tuesdays provide a welcome change from the usual student night and it’s a great combination. If you fancy the idea of sipping sumptuous cocktails in a boutique style club adorned with low slung sofas then this is for you. The atmosphere is chic yet relaxed. It’s popular with the more discerning student crowd and does have a smart-casual dress code but don’t let the effort put you off as Tantra is an excellent antidote to a quiet Tuesday night in.

Wednesday @ The Bodega Social Club??
We’re not sure what fans of ISIS would say but at The Social on Pelham Street, they claim that their Wednesday nights are the “wildest and most popular” in Nottingham. A truly eclectic mix of self-proclaimed “boss tuneage” keeps toes tapping on the dance floor, and with music ranging from indie to rock ‘n’ roll to pop to hip hop, expect it all. With bottled Becks and pints of Strongbow at £1.50, double spirits with mixers at £2.50, you can’t afford not to give it a go. Who knows, you might just love it.??

Thursday @ Market Bar
Market Bar – if you’re a returning student chances are you’ve been there. If you’re a Fresher, it is a name you will definitely be hearing. Located on Goose Gate in Hockley, Market Bar hosts ‘Dive’ on a Thursday night. Think a fusion of electro-indie tunes with smatterings of breaks and beats plus cheap drinks to boot. The playlist is generally characterised by Hot Chip, Justice, Crookers and a tonne more. With most drinks at £1.50 including a Market Bar favourite, the Jaegerbomb, who’s to complain? ‘Dive’ is a failsafe combination that ensures everyone a good night out.?

Friday @ Ocean
?Okay, so you have probably already gone to Ocean at one point in Freshers’ week and we did promise to tell you about other nights out, but we can’t go without including this beauty of a night. The music is a mixture of cheese and the top 40, the drinks are cheap and the vibe is… Well, the drunker the better. It’s a perfect night after a heavy lecture filled week to relax and unwind to the Baywatch theme tune. Put it this way, your Friday night will be a lot duller without a little dip in the big O.

Saturday @ Trent SU
??Complete with three different rooms and dirt cheap vodka-redbull’s to boot, our rival’s base camp has it all. Entry is free before 10.30pm with the party really kicking off by 11.30pm which allows vital drinking time. Despite any superficial rivalries, Uni and Trent clubbers normally mingle well and the night is a great opportunity to meet new people, so leave that drilled-in Week One prejudice at the door! Saturday nights in will soon become a thing of the past and if you know of anyone who hasn’t tried out Trent SU, Impact bestows the responsibility onto you to spread the word and expand Team Uni for an unforgettable night out. 

??Sunday @ Snug
Sunday night Snug is without a doubt one of the best and least well known on our list. The luxurious basement surroundings of the club coupled with the very best in Nottingham’s acoustic music scene means this night is a must. With a different live act every week and free entry all night there really is no excuse. Located on Hounds Gate right in the centre of town this really is the perfect way to round off the week and gear yourself up for the next. 

Katie Cook, Nina Sorensen and Sam Tully