Too good to be true? A Lenton-campus Bus Service

Late for that nine o’clock? No problem. A bold proposal by the Student’s Union exec for a “decent, free, bus service” between Lenton, University park and Jubilee campuses has been receiving a somewhat mixed acclaim on social-networking site, Facebook. The ‘LentonLink’ idea is based on the assumption that if free transport is deemed vital for the studies of those based on satellite campuses, the large student presence in Lenton merits a similar service.

Arguments from group members range from the sublime – “bus to ocean on a Friday is an absolute must” – to the ridiculous, with one jocular suggestion mooting that Lenton should be submerged to facilitate easier rowing to University Park. At the same time, some serious proposals have been put forward, such as a late night service to ensure safety, especially for female students. In a mass message sent out by Accommodation and Community Officer Sam Wilkinson, it was acknowledged that a large number of people were against the idea. Concerns had been raised that there would be too many people to provide an adequate service, or where funding would come from.

If the plan was put into action, a very competitive bus route would have another player in the game. Listing “nightmare” on-campus parking among its motivations, the new service would be pitted against what Wilkinson described as an “unacceptably high-priced” Unilink service. At the same time, a statement of intent has been made on currently existing hopper buses, with the union attempting to improve current inter-campus services.

Will Allchorn

• Anon
    12 January 2010 at 08:14