Activities Loves Douggie

Nobody can doubt that Douggie loves Activities. Now we know that the voters love Douggie McMeekin, after he was elected to the post of Activities Officer.

He saw off strong opposition for the position from the likes of Richard Lockington, Candy Golend and Lawrence Bolton, mostly by means of a magnificent advertising campaign which included an almost constant presence amongst the candidates campaigning around campus and even playing ukulele and crooning to students at the North Entrance each morning.

“The ukulele helped because it was yellow” he said to Impact after his victory “And it didn’t even come out of my budget. I still have £12 left”

His slogan was undoubtedly one of the catchiest of the candidates, though it served to distort his policies, putting his personality before his aims in the role.

He has highlighted some areas he wishes to improve upon, such as improving the SU website, more support for societies and cheaper and better campus festivals. Actual concrete plans on how this would be achieved, however, remain elusive, and it is questionable how feasible some of his ambitions are.

In a campaign of flagrant, unashamed style over substance, Douggie has won over the voters. What he’ll do now he’s earned the position is anyone’s guess.

• Stoke