AU Winner Announced…

In the race to become the next AU Officer, only one candidate was able to prove to voters that he was on the ball enough to hit a home run and get a hole in one in the final seconds of play. With no extra time added, the final whistle was called and it was a solid home win to Dave Heads. He won with 2715 votes, compared to rival Rob Hawkin’s 2049.

In a close race with his friend, Heads’ solid policies secured him his victory. As Rugby Union 1st XV captain this year and Social Secretary last year, Heads had similar credentials to his opponent (Hawkin is NUFC Vice-President and the 2nd XI Vice captain).

Heads’ manifesto pledges clearly won him the support of voters. Whilst he wants to improve the quality of the best performing clubs by seeking affordable high quality coaches and improving the fitness and conditioning facilities available to elite athletes and 1st teams, he has also demonstrated a determination for inclusivity. Heads has promised to push to allow gym users to pay membership fees monthly and assist non-BUCS and intra-mural teams.

“I’m delighted to win,” he told Impact. “Because we were friends we took the campaign a bit easier. But it makes the victory a bit bittersweet.”

Whether Heads can put his policies into practice will be determined next season. However, for now there can be no doubt that he has thoroughly earned the title of Man of the Match.

• Dabonneville