Famous last words – Catching up with George Sampson

Since winning Britain’s Got Talent in 2008, George Sampson has been touring the country and perfecting his street dance skills. At only 16, he’s become a mini-pin-up for schoolgirls across the country – and he’s now thinking of launching a singing career. In February he helped launch the United Dance Organisation’s (UDO) national high school dance championship in association with Beat Bullying. Impact’s Emily Lydford caught up with him to talk school discos, GCSEs and fame.

So how did you get into street dance?

I was about six years old when I first started dancing, my mother took me to a little play-scheme thing every week- it was performing arts. I did acting, singing and dancing but I could just see myself edging towards being a dancer.

So you can sing as well?!

Yeah. It’s all coming out now – but that’s for later in the year!

Brilliant. So you were a good dancer from a young age – did that impress the ladies at the school discos?

(Laughs) I don’t know if it was impressing the ladies or whether I was just being used by the guys! A song would come on and a circle would form and someone would come in and just start waving their arms about and then suddenly all the lads would turn to me and say, “Go on, get in there!”

So you were like the wingman for all the other boys?

Exactly. The ladies do love it, it’s great, but I’m not in it just for that!

So how did you juggle schoolwork with dancing and being famous?

It’s been pretty hard. I had to do my GCSEs last year, but I did alright actually!

What did you get?

I got As and Bs, so I was happy. I had a private tutor who came around everywhere with me – it was great, so much easier than school!

So do you like being famous then?

It’s a great thing! It’s bloody great! It’s tiring and you have to put in a lot of effort but the rewards just make it so worth it.

So you’d recommend it?

Oh yeah. I recommend being famous!

Do you think you can give advice to other young people chasing their dreams?

I just think do what you want to do, and don’t let anybody stop you. I hope I can keep to that my whole life. I always think that you’re and independent person, nobody can tell you what to do. If you wanna dance, dance!

Emily Lydford