Margolis takes the spoils

Oli Margolis has been elected as the next Financial and Service Officer for the SU.

He fought off fierce competition from three candidates (William Burks, Chloe Painter and Nick Redfern) after an exhausting two week campaign to determine who would gain responsibility for how the SU spends its money. With SU expenditure due to decline next year, it proved to be a daunting task for candidates to explain how and where they would increase spending.

With bold promises to reduce the price of Week One and Summer Party tickets and increase funding for the Associations of medics, postgraduates and international students, it is clear why Oli won. He succeeded in convincing voters that these ambitious targets could be met through securing external funding for the union, even though this has been traditionally very difficult and elusive. Other candidates made this pledge but Oli was able to substantiate this by arguing that last year he secured sponsorship for the New Theatre from Price Water House Coopers.

Following his victory, he stated that it felt surreal to have won the contest – and he argued that he saw the SRSes as having untapped potential which he particularly wants to utilise. He specifically cited NUTS as an example of where he would push for more spending: “In terms of what it could be and what it could do, I think it has the most potential.”

Whether Oli’s previous successes will be repeated in his tenure as FSO, only time will tell.

• George McNeil