News

The Wright Stuff for DemComms

After a hotly contested election, George Wright has been voted the next Democracy and Communications Officer. Despite a strong challenge from leading rival Dalia Fleming, Wright’s strong ‘Vote right, vote Wright’ slogan and his strong policies gave him the edge when it came down to the polls, winning with 2286 votes compared to Dalia’s 1734.

His plans for greater support for media SRSs, in particular working towards a greater online presence that reaches out to satellite campuses, evidently proved popular, as did his policy of making the Union’s work more transparent and accessible. His aim to push for greater uptake by women and minority groups in next year’s election was also a laudable ambition that voters were attracted to.

“I feel numb, but I’m over the moon” he said immediately afterwards “I can’t wait to get started”

Wright has been an almost constant presence throughout the campaign and few people on campus will have missed him parading around with his placard promoting his candidacy. It seems likely, however, that Wright’s win is one of substance rather than publicity. Now it is up to Wright to prove to the voters that they made the right choice.

News
  • saddened
    13 March 2010 at 15:04

I am saddened by yet another display of Karni popularity beating experience. Dalia was by far the best candidate for this position. I only hope George can live up to the role.

• Cheerful
    13 March 2010 at 15:47

Popularity will always come into it, but there should not be any belittlement or condemning Karni becuase of it. Karni offers a great opportunity: it opens up a window to view the workings of the SU (something which will be essential); it calls for the most proactive and enthusiastic people (another thing which will be essential) but also the approachable and friendly (yet another essential element).

Not to say Dalia or Johnny was lacking these attributes, but I think it unfair to be saddened by a candidate’s success just because they have had success in a major role that has negative connotations. Also, Karni can not be responsible for so many votes – it was not the only card that George, or the other candidates with Karni experience used.

• No Cap
    13 March 2010 at 15:48

I couldn’t agree more with you. I will also add that with this vote we have symbolically surrendered to the idea of tuition fees increasing. Nobody seems to want to fight them, some even do not dislike the idea of a major tuition fees increase (see next year’s education officer). Oh well, the majority wanted this? They have it. They can stay quiet about it as well.

• Rob
    13 March 2010 at 15:51

Agreed.

• SU Council Member
    13 March 2010 at 16:42

A Dem Coms officer elect who admits to not exactly being familiar with the “Big Red Book”. No experience of steering, elections committee, attending NUS conference…I have my concerns for next year.

• Happy
    13 March 2010 at 18:34

Its time for a fresh pair of hands and some new ideas in council. I for one am looking forward to seeing George take over the job! Well deserved and good luck!

• Media SRS person
    13 March 2010 at 18:40

George Wright has never been actively involved in a media SRS and so he doesn’t understand the role of Impact, URN and NUTS.

They are media services for the students, NOT for the SU. The SU does not control them.

They will not agree to simply becoming publicity tools for the SU and its endeavours.

However, he is right about the need for making everything the SU does more accessible through the internet.

Not counting all the candidates, their campaign teams, current SU, and the media SRSs covering the events, there were roughly 2 normal students at the question time in the Den. The number of people who were watching online and who have since watched it online are much greater.

• David Rees
    13 March 2010 at 19:48

I dont think that is what George is intending for the media SRS’s. He know just how good they are, he just wants a broader cross over within SRSs to help each other not to use as tools for anything else.

You do realise the SU is the Student Union, for the students, by students. I wish people would stop seeing it trying to work against students but trying to benefit them. They are after all current students.

He hasn’t had experience within these SRSs but has often worked with all of them, URN, Impact and Nuts as Publicity and Promotions officer on the Karni exec. You can only do so much within the SRSs, Karni is quite full time.

Im sure George will do great things with the media SRSs as he knows how good they are and what they can achieve.

• No Cap
    13 March 2010 at 19:51

@ David Rees
    Just out of interest, will you, are you or have you been involved in Karni, by any chance?

• David Rees
    13 March 2010 at 19:54

Yes, I said from my first point I was Director of the past year, I finished at christmas.

• Elated Student
    13 March 2010 at 19:57

Well done to George for getting elected! The student body has spoken and have elected the person who obviously engaged, communicated and appealed to them most over the elections period.

The belief that Karni won George the election is preposterous. Karni do not support, advocate or endorse any candidates for elections, and haven’t done for at least the last two academic years. The fact of the matter is we should all be praising George for actually being involved in the SU through Karni, especially in such a philanthropic activity. I doubt many other candidates have put in the number if hours that he has in the last three years towards SU activities. Moreover the forty or so hours every week it takes to be involved on the Karnival executive committee is surely the perfect introduction for the gruelling work schedule on the SU executive, while also giving him a good insight in to the day to day workings of the SU. It is absolutely ridiculous that you are slating someone for actually being involved and understanding the SU.

The role is twofold both democracy and communications. How can you communicate, represent and engage with the wider student body without being able to reach out through contacts you have previously made? Surely this is an important way to find out what students actually want from their SU and ultimately improve the student experience? Good communication (which George clearly has) will bring about a more informed student body improving the quality of cross campus elections as voters will be informed on the issues which are affecting them, as will the SU.

The notion that George’s lack of experience on Steering, Council or Elections committee is flawed. Dave and Wenjie the two previous incumbents for the position had none of this experience before taking up the role and they have both held their own in these departments. Furthermore having previously been on Steering committee, Elections committee and a Union Councillor, these roles are probably the easiest activity I have ever partaken in and are very easy to pick up within a couple of days.

If you believe you could do a better job? Maybe next time you should run?

With good communication comes great democracy!

• Elated Student
    13 March 2010 at 20:09

Looking at the results. Karni is clearly not the vote whipping power it is perceived it to be. Maybe this title should be passed too New Theatre? They won more positions on next years Exec! In positions which were very fiercely contested!

• No Cap
    13 March 2010 at 20:52

Just wanted to make sure.

• SU fail
    13 March 2010 at 21:09

It is sad that the candidates with a real passion for the SU and a desire to re-shape it have not won. Dalia had so much more experience than wright and not only would this experience have benefited the job role it also shows her interest in this role for what it is rather than as a paid chance to hang around in Nottingham for another year. She would have put her heart and soul into the SU which I don’t think we will see from the Karni candidates.

• anon
    13 March 2010 at 21:18

David ress i respect your opinon but these positions require knowledge and experience within the SU. Yes of course you can learn as you go along, but why on earth elect some one who will take four months to learn the trade, when you have a perfectly experienced and knowledgeable candidate who will be ready at go. Especially with democracy officer, who in my view represents what the SU is lacking in right now. Democratic reform and effective streamlined communication. We have just handed another year to some one who hasn’t even bothered to get to know the Big red book. I suppose some people just love risks.

• Jimmy Dalton
    13 March 2010 at 21:30

I’m so glad George won, excellent to have another ex-K boy on the exec, just goes to show that Karni really do dominate these su elections! Who needs policies when you’ve got such great chat!

• steve and dave
    13 March 2010 at 22:43

yeah it is a popularity contest, and george is (obviously) more popular than you.

• That blatantly wasn’t Jimmy Dalton
    13 March 2010 at 22:56

@Elated Student – Wenjie & Dave didn’t have SU experience. Many people (myself inclued) think they performed poorly in the role of DemComms. The vote on Impact’s election livebog shows how many people think the elections were run very badly.

Also – I know Jimmy Dalton; he wouldn’t say that. The comment was probably just made by someone who is trying to provoke people and prove their own point.

• Crouchy
    13 March 2010 at 23:06

@ SU fail

Have a gander….

• George Right
    13 March 2010 at 23:19

winnnnnnnner!

• Gary G
    13 March 2010 at 23:37

Dalia was Women’s officer representing roughly 50% of the 30,000 students at Nottingham University.

George was on Karni Exec, which over the year engages with about 7,000 students.

Do the maths….

• David Beckham
    13 March 2010 at 23:40

Every candidate will have used friends and informal networks that they have gained through su activities – I’m sure Dalia had a near monopoly of votes from those actively involved in the women’s network and I’m also sure that George and his supporters wouldn’t be on here chastising her for this had she won instead. Stop being bitter just because your favourite candidate didn’t win.

• Puh-leese
    13 March 2010 at 23:48

@Gary G – Are you seriously suggesting that women on campus are as aware of the people who make up women’s network as people who participate in Karni events are of the people who run Karni?

Because if you are, that’s laughable.

• David Rees
    13 March 2010 at 23:58

“David ress i respect your opinon but these positions require knowledge and experience within the SU”

I agree they do require a certain level of experience but let me say two things.

Firstly if you are Karni exec you do not have time to do anything else. Trust me on that. Karni works within the SU anyway, so you get to see how it works, but you will not have time to gain experience in other areas. But Karni does give you an incredibly well rounded experience of many different areas within the SU.

Secondly the role is Democracy and Communication…

George was Publicity and Promotions officer on the Karni exec, it hits the nail on the head in terms of communication. He has experiences Dalia doesn’t and vice versa.

He is an extremely capable guy and I am certain he will be an exceptional member of the SU exec.

• No Cap
    14 March 2010 at 00:10

Not everyone is happy with the result. Nobody is bitter about it, just extremely disappointed that Karni and popularity wins people elections, instead of experience and pledges. I have nothing against Wright, I think he could be a good Exec Officer.

• Gary G
    14 March 2010 at 00:12

@ Puh-leese

No im not I was purely stating the facts….

Maybe they should be though or what is the point of the Womens Officer position and network? Perhaps you have inadvertently stumbled upon a more important point…. Why don’t more people get involved in the representative networks within the SU? The contacts that a prospective candidate could make through such a network far out do the scope of supposedly narrow appeal of Karnival!

• Elated Student
    14 March 2010 at 00:34

@ No Cap

Continually stating the supposed fact that Karni wins you elections makes you look stupid! Its not true!

Exec elections 09 – Two former members of Karni Exec lost elections. One former Karni Rep loses elections.

Exec Elections 10 – Two former members of Karni Exec lost elections. Two former Karni Reps lost elections.

You are obviously very concerned by this issue!

I think the crux for the matter is that Karni attracts well rounded, driven, approachable and proactive individuals who are always more likely to get involved in the SU, and therefore it is more likely that they will run in elections.

Why is it a ludicrous statement? If you are so concerned by this issue why not do something about it? Running personally for the next elections may well help you achieve the change you so clearly desire because of this misplaced travesty. Propose a motion to council? Im sure it will be more proactive than your moaning on here.

Cheerio

• Paul
    14 March 2010 at 00:58

Is “Elated Student” Jimmy Dalton? Are members of Steering Committee allowed to support Exec candidates?

• Pur-leese
    14 March 2010 at 01:01

Karni’s appeal may be narrower but it is much, much more intense.

With all this debating here I think it’s worth stating that both George and Dalia were excellent candidates and are great people generally.

They were my top two, and it seems by the high number of votes for each of them, many other people agreed with my view on that.

• No Cap
    14 March 2010 at 01:02

@ Elated Student
    Getting a little edgy are we? All those exclamation marks and examples that do not hold, plus feeling the need to insult me? Oooh dear, I think you are a little nervous about the truth, aren’t you? You should try to chill out 😉

You prove to everyone that you are more concerned about me with regards to the controversy of this issue.

Also, you seem to not read other threads. As I am an infinitely patient person, I will rewrite what I said in another post.

It is blatant that Karni backs certain people through word of mouth, and not only, and I have personally experienced this.
    The fact that a few Karni candidates have lost in these elections (and previous ones as a matter of fact) is an incredibly weak argument in defense of some unknown standard of conduct within Karni – it’s like saying that an overdraft facility is not useful to anyone because some people need more than their overdraft limit. Metaphorically speaking, that Karni overdraft was more than enough for other Karni based candidates.

• No Cap
    14 March 2010 at 01:06

*more concerned than me

• Elated Student
    14 March 2010 at 01:23

@Paul

Jimmy is currently on Steering Committee

I stated I previously was

Lets not get someone in trouble who isn’t involved in this debate.

• Rob
    14 March 2010 at 02:09

I love No Cap!

• Elated Student
    14 March 2010 at 02:17

1) Well lets agree to disagree….

2) You made the first personal comment….

“As for personally running in elections, that is the most ludicrous argument in the history of humanity, and keeps reappearing when people no longer know how to defend mates that have won. Stop suggesting it, it does not make you look good or intelligent!”

3) The examples do hold up research it if you don’t believe me.

4) I am concerned about the issue. You obviously are too. I don’ t think it is fair or clever to slate people for a previous activity they have been successfully involved with, especially when the £1 million + raised will help countless people less fortunate than ourselves. Negative opinions like that will just discourage people from getting involved in Karni (which for the most part is a good service) and likewise the SU. Without proactive involved people how can the SU function and progress in the future?

4) Wow they have meet a few people through these activities, made a few contacts. That does not win you an election. Passion, drive, determination, branding, gimmicks, talking to voters and running a good visible campaign do.

6) Im sure George will do a wonderful job, pushing for the changes that are needed for the students he will represent. Give him a chance.

I bid you good day.

• anon
    14 March 2010 at 07:11

Approachable people? yes only because they have to be and get the job. Most Karni reps I’ve come across were involved in cliquey groups in the first term, kept to themselves and were of a certain, should we say background. Once they were ‘crowned’ like royalty they put on a massive PR stunt toward their peers, just to get the job done.

This experience I’ve described is something most, if not all people I know found in their hall. A lot of harder working, more approachable and loveable people will never be chosen as Karni reps because they don’t fit the ‘mold’. We all know what that mold often is.

You can deny it all you want, doesn’t change what happens in reality based on peoples personal experience.

Oh yes Karni reps are angels of the sick, weak and poor. Obviously, I wonder how many would run for karni rep if alcohol was banned from events?

Which brings me onto another thing. Surely Karni in its present form is failing the Student Union policies and aims ? every event more or less involves drinking.

• Richard Nixon
    14 March 2010 at 12:21

Why is the issue of Karnival being so widely debated within this thread? George Wright ran for a position off his own back with no backing from karni as it is not allowed or so I’ve been lead to believe. So what if hes made friends from such activities, he is quite a nice guy after all.

In my opinion, he won because more people believed in him and his policies. Furethermore his campaign was better run and tailored towards the normal everyday student than the other candidates. I have nothing against flemming, but sadly I was one of the many floating voters that could be enticed one way or the other, and George won.

@anon

Im sorry you feel that way about karnival representatives. I personnally got on very well with mine last year, and I was definitely part of a separate “clique” to them. But that is my personall opinion, and I feel very sorry that you cannot look past the whole drinking culture associated and look to the £1.2million raised in 2009. But in this day and age of university life and a binge drinking youth how else do you propose that same amount of money could be raised?

Also I’d like to point out that your view of Karni is flawed as there are many different things that they do that doesnt involve drinking. I wont go into it, but if you are interested, why not ask the reps you aren’t that keen on about the contact side of karnival, that does so much for the local community. Or the trips they organise, such as kili, a sky dive or this new hike across the great wall of china.

that is all

P.s when did David Beckham become so wise?

• David Rees
    14 March 2010 at 13:25

Your view of Karni is becoming rapidly old fashioned. It is trying to break ever further from the “drinking club with a charity problem” label.

How much did we raise last year? £1,220,000

How much involved absolutely nothing to do with alcohol? well over £750,000

Your comments about the SRS are only further proving your ignorance of it. Yes some events inlcude drinking, this is after all uni and a lot of people do drink, it would be foolish not to use this to make money for charity. But so many of the newer events have nothing to do with drinking and the ones that do are being refomed this year as part of the handover we have done with Samo and his exec, and yes by this I mean Ragraids and Mr and Miss Nottingham.

Ragraids by the way raised £300,000 for charities. And what is the bad side? Students got drunk? At least they did so with people around who are first aid trained and half of whom have to remain sober.

Get off your high horse and go and actually talk with someone involved with the SRS and find out a bit about it. You may be surprised.

• Massive lad
    14 March 2010 at 13:42

There are some very bitter people on here!

Lets look at the facts:

‘Dalia had the better policies and was the better candidate’…erm how do you think we could quantatively prove this? I reckon an election where you can see whether most people believe this to be correct…..OH WAIT…this already happened and George won.

Secondly, I dont drink, I climbed Kilimanjaro for charity this year and visited a zoo with disabled kids all thanks to Karnival…what horrible people they must be.

Lastly I know for a fact that Karnival refused to endorse any particular candidate this year and that George had sound policies and had the personal qualities that students wanted for their SU Exec.

Get over yourselves, the people have spoken

• anon
    14 March 2010 at 13:59

No cap mate, you need to get a girlfriend or something.

• Sam
    14 March 2010 at 15:13

This is a ridiculous argument, George ran a better campaign than Dalia so he won. They both had similar policies but I voted for George because he ran such a good campaign (great videos, consistent branding, great manifesto) and because I think he’ll make Union democracy more accessible, versus Dalia who seems stuck in the bureaucracy of it.

Best of luck to Dalia with whatever she goes on to do, she has given a lot to this SU and the student moment generally, full credit to her for that.

• Sam
    14 March 2010 at 15:16

Stupid website, this isn’t a ‘duplicate post’ I just mistyped your anti-spam box thing because it’s so hard to read, I know it has a speaker option but are your anti-spam measures really needed? Are less partially-sited readers still able to post? Something for the DemComms officer to consider perhaps!

• Nathan
    14 March 2010 at 15:43

The whole problem for the SU is that its promotions are poor, so why is it bad that someone who has promoted hundreds of events wom.

For this position it is especially pertinent that George won on the strenght of his campaign; the position is about communicating the SU’s policies to the student.

Whilst Karni can be vulgar it does a lot of good charity work, which should not be forgotton…

• Hmmm…
    15 March 2010 at 13:05

The non-alcoholic Karni events were Kilimanjaro and Everest right?
    Karni didn’t organise either expedition! They had barely anything to do with them apart from a K on the hoodies and acting like a bank so get off your high horse and admit that almost all of what Karni does is alcohol based. No one knows about Kontact so perhaps the Promotions and Publicity should have done more about that if you are to claim it does so much charity work? Plus the Karni website is AWFUL – it’s still 2008!

It has been said that Karni exec is a full time job and fair enough but why didn’t the newly elected have any interest in other SRSs before he got on the exec? It worries me that his only big experience is Karni when it is independent from the SU, the body which he will be working for. Dalia was much more experienced and it is a shame she didn’t get it. We need more people tuning into the URN debates and more coverage in general – something I hope George will get on to next year.

• David Rees
    15 March 2010 at 14:52

Kili and Everest were nothing to do with Karni? This statement shows you have absolutely no idea what you are talking about.

Karni is independent from the SU? Again your showing yourself to be an idiot.

George didn’t get involved with any other SRSs? If you are Karni exec it means you are fully involved with Karni from being a fresher to christmas this year. Thats when we finished. And elections start just afterwards. And within Karni we do work with the SRSs. Especially the media ones!

In your defence the Karni website is shit. I know. Its being worked on, various reasons have slowed it up. Like not having the admin rights to change our supposed website. But its being worked on.

• Bob
    15 March 2010 at 15:04

This whole Karni alcohol bashing really gets on my tits.
    Lets look at the fact. Karni organised events like Jailbreak (non alcoholic), its reps organised events like a pudding race in London (raised over 5 thousand pounds), school fairs, etc etc. Moreover, it did more than the ‘banking’ work you say Kilimanjaro was, and was set up by Karnival two years ago.
    Furthermore, an event such as 7-legged raises over 30,000 pounds profit every year for charity. Yes its a bar crawl, but if it was not there, students would go on Carnage, where the profits do not go to any good causes. Surely the running of such an event, which yes does involve students drinking alcohol (should they wish to) , is a good way to capitalise on an activity that students do anyways, for many good causes.

Does this make Karnival involved candidates better than any other candidate…no, but it does not make them any worse. Why it has been brought into the discussion I do not know, but it reeks of sour grapes from supporters of a very good, yet unelected, candidate in Dalia.

• only jeremy kyle can sort this
    15 March 2010 at 16:43

Well in George lad, victory was never in doubt. Clearly the best candidate.

• Fresher student
    16 March 2010 at 01:35

Whilst Karni’s charity work is not in doubt, it can’t be denied that it has a reputation for events where the main focus is getting sloshed.

It seems nearly every email I get from them involves the words “lash” or “karni cocktail”, and the whole image puts students who aren’t into drinking until you throw up off getting involved.

• Rebellious Tronda
    16 March 2010 at 16:59

GREAT SHOW OLD CHAP! ANOTHER WIN FOR KARNI! WICKED! YAY! GAP YAH?

• Tiger Woods
    16 March 2010 at 18:58

George is a LAD! Best candidate won out in the end!

Im really worried.

Some of you really need to get out more. Then maybe you would have enough friends to wind an election!

Popular people win elections….