The Wright Stuff for DemComms

After a hotly contested election, George Wright has been voted the next Democracy and Communications Officer. Despite a strong challenge from leading rival Dalia Fleming, Wright’s strong ‘Vote right, vote Wright’ slogan and his strong policies gave him the edge when it came down to the polls, winning with 2286 votes compared to Dalia’s 1734.

His plans for greater support for media SRSs, in particular working towards a greater online presence that reaches out to satellite campuses, evidently proved popular, as did his policy of making the Union’s work more transparent and accessible. His aim to push for greater uptake by women and minority groups in next year’s election was also a laudable ambition that voters were attracted to.

“I feel numb, but I’m over the moon” he said immediately afterwards “I can’t wait to get started”

Wright has been an almost constant presence throughout the campaign and few people on campus will have missed him parading around with his placard promoting his candidacy. It seems likely, however, that Wright’s win is one of substance rather than publicity. Now it is up to Wright to prove to the voters that they made the right choice.

• saddened