Let your creative juices flow…

‘I wandered lonely as a cloud.’ The sun is shining, the birds are singing and if the weather doesn’t inspire you to write like Wordsworth, perhaps the Creative Writing Society just might.

Every Wednesday at 1pm in the Hallward Library, the Creative Writing Society hosts an hour long writing circle. Sessions are themed, you may be asked to write a horror story for example, and anything goes – prose, verse, plays or monologue. You may be daunted by this idea, but it’s actually easier than you would expect. Being around like-minded people eager to support any ambitions you might have means that help is always at hand. Even I managed to jot down a few lines of my next best-seller!

If you fancy hearing others perform, or want to share your own pieces, the Open Mic Nights, held fortnightly on Wednesday evenings, are an apt way to do this. Come to the Hallward Library at seven and you will be given your five minutes of fame. Anything goes! The idea here is simply to improve confidence. The President of the Society, Bear, joined simply to develop his public speaking skills, and found that his creative flair flourished.

As if that isn’t enough, the Creative Writing crew aim to provide socials with a difference. The last of which was a trip to see the Nutcracker Ballet. These are definitely socials which will inspire you when getting pen to paper.

Those who get this far can contribute to the Society’s own Jabberwocky Magazine, published once a semester in print form, but is also available online.

So, whether you are a writer wanting support and encouragement to write a bit more, whatever the reason, the Creative Writing Society has more to offer than you might have thought.

Amy Pearson