Vent Your Spleen: The Blackberry – A Stain on 21st Century Technology

Personally, I believe that the Blackberry represents your stereotypical social-climbing, fake student looking to further their name. I hate the Blackberry.

The first aggravation has to be the new unique technology the Blackberry boasts; the famous Blackberry Messaging device that allows people to contact each other for free on-the-go. A great idea on paper of course, but not taking into account the irritating baggage that comes with it. For instance, the mind-numbingly annoying pin number which people feel it’s necessary to advertise on Facebook, and of course the fact that the sender can tell when you have read a message, leaving the owner susceptible to numerous arsey messages regarding their lack of reciprocated contact.

The Blackberry has the capacity to instantaneously transform the owner from a fully functional human into a gormless idiot on social occasions. It has become the norm to expect Blackberry owners to stop conversations mid-sentence and begin to tap frantically at the keys. How can a gadget devised to help you keep in touch with people render you so socially inept? There is also the stigma attached to non-Blackberry owners; I seem to have become a social outcast because my inferior Nokia phone does not have BBM, a camera, or – heaven forbid – mobile internet so that I can incessantly check my Facebook profile.

And then there’s the irrational dependence. The amount of suffering I have witnessed when people’s Blackberry phones, which incidentally have a lifespan of less than a month, break or are lost, is ridiculous. It is remarkable how such a small and flimsy piece of equipment can, when broken, apparently destroy the owner’s social, personal and spiritual wellbeing.

This brings me to my last problem – a problem that I realise I have been guilty of throughout this rant. It is just a phone so please refer to it as a phone and not as your Blackberry. Blackberry is the name of the company that makes the phone and not the name of the actual item. I can honestly say I have never informed my friends that I’m about to make a call on my Nokia, so why must you do so with a Blackberry?!

I can’t imagine this will deter people from such behaviour, but if you do so in my presence be prepared for an outburst – until I get a Blackberry of course…

FeaturesThis Issue
  • Well actually
    29 April 2010 at 10:08