Mackay Secures Equal Opps and Welfare

Katie Mackay has finally secured the position of Equal Opportunities and Welfare Officer, winning over 800 votes in the by-election held over the past week.

While Mackay had won the original election in March, the by-election was called following a successful appeal by John Smith*. Smith pulled out of the By-Election a day before it was set to commence. Despite facing two new opponents, Katie has held onto the position.

Mackay has made a point of focusing on improving food outlets on campus, and she has also made inclusion of students from other campuses one of her priorities. Speaking during the original campaign in March, Katie stated “every student on every campus is a member of the Students’ Union and each student must be fairly represented whoever they are and wherever they are based.” As a well known denizen of Sutton Bonington campus, Katie’s experience of student life on a satellite campus undoubtedly added weight to her pledge.

Now that her position has been firmly established Katie can assume her place in office and put her manifesto into action. Dan Downes, the current Equal Opportunities and Welfare Officer, said that “She’ll do a fantastic job and I’m really looking forward to handing over to her. I know that the role will be in safe and ambitious hands. She’ll be able to table some of the things with equal opps that I haven’t managed.

“I am also delighted that there will be another woman on the Exec next year which I think is an important step for equal opportunities for next year and beyond”.

Emily Sargent

*This person’s name was changed to protect their identity. 

• Anon
    10 May 2010 at 15:43