News

Mackay Secures Equal Opps and Welfare

Katie Mackay has finally secured the position of Equal Opportunities and Welfare Officer, winning over 800 votes in the by-election held over the past week.

While Mackay had won the original election in March, the by-election was called following a successful appeal by John Smith*. Smith pulled out of the By-Election a day before it was set to commence. Despite facing two new opponents, Katie has held onto the position.

Mackay has made a point of focusing on improving food outlets on campus, and she has also made inclusion of students from other campuses one of her priorities. Speaking during the original campaign in March, Katie stated “every student on every campus is a member of the Students’ Union and each student must be fairly represented whoever they are and wherever they are based.” As a well known denizen of Sutton Bonington campus, Katie’s experience of student life on a satellite campus undoubtedly added weight to her pledge.

Now that her position has been firmly established Katie can assume her place in office and put her manifesto into action. Dan Downes, the current Equal Opportunities and Welfare Officer, said that “She’ll do a fantastic job and I’m really looking forward to handing over to her. I know that the role will be in safe and ambitious hands. She’ll be able to table some of the things with equal opps that I haven’t managed.

“I am also delighted that there will be another woman on the Exec next year which I think is an important step for equal opportunities for next year and beyond”.

Emily Sargent

*This person’s name was changed to protect their identity.

News
  • Anon
    10 May 2010 at 15:43

Woop Wooop Katie!! She will be a very good asset to the SU next year.

• SB Sheep
    10 May 2010 at 18:56

yay!!!! well done katie 🙂

the mighty SB has spoken again 🙂

• roflcopter
    10 May 2010 at 19:15

Any news on mature students officer, Impact?

Doesn’t say much for the system that the winner got 800 votes, out of how many thousands of students? That’s about the size of 3 halls on campus.

I don’t think this is the first time I’ve seen Impact write about out our “Student’s Union” (I know I can’t speak with my quality of typing).

• Luke Place
    10 May 2010 at 22:52

At this time of year, it was always going to be difficult to get students interested in a by-election. Katie got well over 80 percent of the vote in difficult circumstances.

Congratulations Katie!!!!

• Mature Student
    12 May 2010 at 02:10

Well done to Katie, I’m honestly delighted that she won, it’s a fantastic achievement and step forward for Sutton Bonington!

Whilst I praise Impact for providing this news quickly, the fact that you have not even MENTIONED the fact that the Mature Students Officer was also elected, is highly questionable…. Care to comment Impact?

• Luke Place