Haye vs. Harrison: a Fight Night special

As 20,000 spectators packed into the MEN Arena in Manchester, little did they know that the first two rounds would offer minimal excitement. With Haye having gone into the fight against fellow Brit with a three stone disadvantage it would be a fight of raw power alongside agility. With all the build-up emphasising that to win was Harrison’s destiny, the fight did not live up to expectations simply because the first two rounds were so pedestrian.

However, the bout came to life – if controversially so – in the third with Haye landing a combination of lethal blows without reply to eventually unsettle his competitor. In all this time, Harrison kept on retreating into his shell in what seemed like taking the fight to the latter rounds. With more and more shots landing, Haye was by far the dominant boxer out there and the defensive posture of Harrison seemed to falter as he could do little to prevent any accurate shot. A failure to grab a hold of Haye meant that seconds later Harrison fell to the canvas in spectacular fashion and struggled to get up immediately. As the fight resumed Haye rapidly moved in towards Harrison and landed another combination of jabs and left hooks. The referee then deemed the fight should be stopped. In a fight where it was believed Harrison threw one punch, there was no doubt who the winner would be.

Harrison has been a great disappointment to all his fans as he has not delivered and built on his Olympics success of a decade ago, and has resorted to blaming the referee for ending the fight hastily even though all those watching could see that he wouldn’t have lasted any longer. Despite his height and weight advantage, he failed to use these assets to maximum effect and succumbed to the stronger competitor. As David Haye explained post-fight, its easier to build up all the hype about yourself weeks before the fight – but in the days before, it’s shown what you’re truly made of.

David Haye showed that he has all the attributes to be the current WBA heavyweight champion. He’ll now seek out a fight with one of the Klitschko brothers (who hold the missing belts) and try and become the undisputed heavyweight champion of the world. As for Harrison, the sun may have set on his time in the ring – but all we know for sure is that any comeback he decides to stage will be a daunting task indeed.

Ketan Patel

• joe bloggs
    17 November 2010 at 16:06