Style

Ousting the Ugg

So the leaves have fallen from the trees, we’re casually wearing dressing gowns around the house as another layer, and we’re becoming accustomed to not feeling our toes as we trudge across campus. And in the colder months, more than ever, it’s all too tempting to slip into a pair of Ugg boots out of sheer habit. But if you don’t fancy blending into the crowd, there are so many other options to stay stylish and warm as you walk.

1) Can’t let go of the fluffy Ugg interior? Luckily for you, shearling is huge right now, thanks to the Aviator trend flying around. Strap on a pair of aviator boots and report for duty on campus.

2) Brogues may not be quite as suitable once the snow hits, but while the temperature’s still falling they’re a very stylish alternative. Trade in your summery ballet pumps for a take on the androgynous look.

3) Heeled hiking boots are everywhere this season, a spin-off from the summer’s utilitarian trend. Keep your feet out of the puddles in these boots while also keeping warm. Pair with thick, ribbed ankle or knee socks to complete the look.

4) Sticking with the boots theme, laced up worker/biker boots are also super trendy, and their practical heel and high-top style will keep you warm and comfy all winter.

5) For the more classic look, a pair of tall leather boots will work with almost everything, and the length will keep you warm whatever the weather. There’s a style for everyone, whether that be riding-boots, tassled, studded or thigh-high for the more adventurous.

So if you want to try something a bit different, try leaving your Uggs at home for a change and step into someone else’s shoes.

Deborah Murtha

Style