Live Review: Klaxons at Rock City – 15/11/10

On a Sunday evening when most were resting on the sofa after a hearty roast, Klaxons  took to the stage to play a set of rousing coordinated chaos. The gig featured hits from both Myths of the Near Future (2007) and Surfing the Void (2010), with their original material sounding as vibrant as ever, despite the decline of ‘new rave’. The performance was full of their typical energy, but in a more controlled manner than before. A sign of this new maturity came from the tension-building pause in the middle of ‘Magick’, sending the crowd into a state of bliss once the guitars had shattered the artificial silence – a true highlight of the night.

Their new material, taken from the much anticipated second album, Surfing the Void, was just as good live, with ‘Echoes’ proving be a firm favourite. Klaxons’ two-song encore included ‘It’s not over yet’, with this version imbued with added intensity and malice in retaliation to claims that the band would not return to make a second album. They finished the hour-long, whirlwind of a performance with ‘Atlantis to Interzone’,  a song that left the crowd in a sweaty state of euphoria. With this performance came the feeling that although the ‘new rave’ era might be dead and gone, Klaxons were certainly ‘not over yet’.

Jake Batty and Jack Gilbert

GigsMusic