Notts County Blog – The only local club for Nottingham Students

After a season of headline hitting stories, life at Meadow Lane in Nottingham continues to settle, but now having won promotion and escaped the dangers of financial oblivion Notts County are making steady progress in the rough waters of modern football. Even this season, with one managerial casualty in the form of Craig Short and one of the greatest FA Cup upsets of the season against Premiership side Sunderland, excitement hasn’t been hard to find at Meadow Lane

Now in League One the Magpies face bigger challenges than before as new manager Paul Ince, one of the most ambitious and promising young managers in the county, aims to pull County up a tough division against the likes of Southampton, Sheffield Wednesday, Peterborough, Charlton and Brighton. The summer rebuilding began with the new board renovating a number of facilities at the stadium, most notably the Meadow Lane Sports Bar. While on the pitch former manager Short brought in exciting new signings including Alan Judge from Blackburn, John Harley from Watford and Krystian Pearce from Birmingham to compliment an already impressive squad recently complemented by the added zest of latest signings Stephen Darby, Alan Gow and Lewis Gobern.

Where the first few months of the campaign saw County finding their feet in the division, ending in a run of defeats that cost former Magpie Craig Short his job, Paul Ince’s appointment saw the club then embark on a staggering two-month only recently ended this week by a visit from Carlisle.

The man credited with saving Notts County from huge debts last season, Chairman Ray Trew, is confident of the future. Before a recent match he said “We have a number of high profile games here at Meadow Lane in the near future, it will be a key period in the season so I urge every football fan in Nottingham to get behind the team and make us proud as we push up the table”.

If you’re a student wishing to discuss promotional offers or the chance to become a ‘Notts County Ambassador’ can contact Matt on [email protected].

• JDA
    31 January 2011 at 15:16