Style

A-Z of Student Spring Style

Accessories – waist-cinching belts, dramatic hats, retro sunglasses, silky headscarves… take your pick!

Biker jackets – aviators have been banished to the AW10 archives, so tap into your inner rock chick and wrap yourselves in buttery-soft leather

Colour – the beiges and nudes of winter are gone, and it’s time to breathe some life back into your wardrobe with brilliant shades of blue, pink, tangerine and green. Block them, clash them – just embrace the bold

Dresses – look out for the new breed of sheer maxi dress in particular – throw one on for instant glamour

Eyeliner – break away from black and choose navy and plum hues instead

Fringing – think Michael Kors, Roberto Cavalli and Jean Paul Gaultier.  Tassels are all over the place, but don’t overdo it, or you’ll end up looking like you belong in a bad Western…

Green – one of this season’s must-have shades.  Khaki, apple, chartreuse, moss… a little splash of green will give you that spring feeling. Angelina Jolie and Mila Kunis brought the trend to the forefront of fashion at the Golden Globes

Hair – whether you prefer sleek and chic or larger than life, spring is the perfect time to experiment with a dramatic new style. After all, it will always grow back…

Ice cream colours – London Fashion Week saw icy pastels adorning the eyelids of models and fashionistas alike.

Jewel tones – as seen at Gucci, think of the best of what the 70s had to offer. Forget the bad hair and disco balls, look to beautiful purples, crimsons and greens for reference

Kate Middleton – The unexpected fashion muse who’s showing everyone under the age of 30 how to dress like a modern day princess

Lace – perfect for adding texture and detail to any outfit, look to Christopher Kane’s neon lace dresses, skirts and blazers for a S/S staple

Moisturiser – post-winter skin will feel dry and tight, so slap on some cream day and night for a fresh and dewy complexion

Necklaces – make a statement with a necklace that’s chunky, bold and bright

Orange – clothes, lips, accessories… NOT your skin!

Primer – makes sure makeup stays put all night long, even in our favourite sweaty clubs

Quirky Hair – clip-in fringes, dip-dyed locks and Altuzarra’s neon colour flashes mean anything goes with this season’s hair

Rayé – that’s French for ‘striped’. As seen at Prada and Jill Sander, wide horizontal stripes can be incredibly flattering

Silk shirts – a timeless classic to be worn with anything and everything

Trousers – still going strong. This season’s cut: wide-legged and long

Umbrella – keep the spring showers at bay during the long walk to campus – think block brights and perennial spring florals

Volume – floor sweeping skirts and trousers, overblown shapes and bouffant hair all staked their claim at Milan Fashion Week

White – a perfect compliment to S/S’s acid brights, minimalistic white pieces tie together any outfit with a fresh, crisp feel to take you right through to summer

X-rated – sheer fabrics, cut-away silhouettes… prepare to bare some skin (it’s advisable to follow the either/or rule here, i.e. either cleavage or legs, not both!)

Yellow – sunshine personified.  It may still be grey and cloudy outside, but tell the depressing weather where to go and embrace lemon, egg-yolk and acid tones

Zumba – Everyone’s getting in on the ‘Zumba’ dance-fitness craze. Championed by the likes of Emma Watson and Victoria Beckham, the new regime on the block can see you burn up to 900 calories in an hour

Charlotte Rottenburg

Style