Basketball

From the AU Officer: Why Varsity Matters

Varsity is one of very few events (I can’t really think of others) that can unite students of the University in a common cause together. Students from different halls, backgrounds, courses and interests suddenly find themselves next to complete strangers desperate for the same thing – a Uni win. For me, the spring semester is synonymous with the Varsity series and I know there are many athletes spread across the university who feel the same way. Ten weeks, ten sports, and fourteen events give us a new name on the Varsity trophy and all the hard earned bragging rights associated with it.

They our series has the largest varsity Ice Hockey match outside of North America and anyone who has experienced the noise of 7000 students crammed into the Capital FM Arena soon realises that Varsity matches aren’t just ‘another game’.  To witness last year’s penalty shoot-out victory for the Mens Football team was to watch an event you will never forget.

My own personal experiences of the Varsity series have been disappointing and last year I was injured and was forced to leave the field at Meadow Lane to chorus of jeers from the Trent fans. The sum total of my Varsity involvement has been less than thirty minutes played; zero wins, one draw and a defeat. It’s this experience that has only made me all the more determined to make sure that this year’s athletes aren’t forced to endure the same. Every student at Nottingham can help their cause by ensuring we have big, vocal crowds at every event to drown out the noise of the Trent Army.

Finally it would be remiss of me to talk about Varsity without mentioning the good work the series does in raising money for charity. Last year we raised the largest amount ever with £14,627.09 going to Cardiac Risk in the Young. This year we have chosen to support PASIC – Parents Association for Seriously Ill Children – who are local children’s charity based the QMC that do great work for the families of children with serious and terminal illnesses.  I only have two aims for the Varsity series: to raise more money than last year; and to claim the series back.

Dave Heads is the Athletic Union Officer for the University of Nottingham

Image by Matt Turner

BasketballCricketFootballHockeyIce HockeyNetballRugby LeagueRugby UnionSwimmingVarsity