Live Review: Harvey Kaye at The Bag O Nails – 13/02/11

For many of us, Sunday nights are for take-aways, shameless Channel 4 documentaries and last minute seminar reading; being the one night of the week it is generally acceptable to admit to staying in. But, while the streets of Lenton become deserted, the ever faithful Bag O Nails strives to provide student entertainment for those who have not succumbed to the extended Sunday night hangover.

I am usually a keen follower of these ‘Sunday night rituals’, however, last week I was persuaded to go along to one of the ‘Sunday Sessions’ nights. Acoustic guitarist and singer, Harvey Kaye, modestly began his set with covers of Maroon 5, John Mayer and Michael Bublé. His jazzy voice and upbeat guitar lines – not forgetting his cheeky smile and improvisatory scatting – quickly got everyone’s attention, achieving a great balance in the difficult acoustic. His set list broadly ranged from 90s Classics to an exotic Spanish tango and included 3 songs he had written himself, each introduced with the different country he had written them in. ‘Chosen Shade’, ‘Beat Around the Bush’ and ‘Bubbles’ all clearly demonstrated his instinctive musicianship and lyricist aptitude (especially when spontaneously reworking a verse to tell one of his friends to get off the phone and listen to him!)

His playful adaptation of ‘I Wanna Be Like You’ from The Jungle Book was a fantastic way to end to his set, showing off his natural talent as a fun, charming and sociable performer. All in all, it was a really enjoyable evening and it beat the standard Sunday evening routine hands down. Next time you’re planning a Sunday night in with Mario, Papa John, Ben or Jerry, think again!

Becky Hutter

GigsMusic
  • Kezzo
    20 February 2011 at 00:10