Albums

Album Review: Sever The Ghost – ‘Fool the Conqueror, Kill the King’ EP

Finding an identity in an over-saturated genre is no easy task, but even from the first twenty seconds or so of opening track ‘Forgery’, it’s clear that Colchester quintet Sever the Ghost are an exciting new metalcore act.

As darker, heavier riffs from the guitar and bass drive the tracks forward, the higher melodies from the lead guitar add another interesting layer to the songs without taking away any of their power. This combination is complemented by the excellent vocal talent of singers Tom Palmer and Sam Austen. The screams and growls are well formed and aggressive, with which the clean singing contrasts brilliantly.

For a debut release from a relatively unknown band, the production quality is remarkably high. Fortunately though, Sever the Ghost have avoided overproducing the vocals as the raw emotion within them is still audible. Drummer Nathan Lilley is technically precise, and it’s nice to hear some interesting fills that break away from the standard combination of kick drum, snare and crash symbol.

Each of the three tracks on offer in this EP are dynamic and a blast to listen to. The main problem with the release is that it’s over too quickly, leaving you wanting more. One or two more tracks would have given it more substance, but really this is just nit-picking, and ultimately, quality trumps quantity any day. Whatever you might choose to call it, Sever the Ghost takes on a familiar sound in a winning formula. They’ll need to push and develop it as far as they can in the coming years, but ‘Fool the Conqueror, Kill the King’ is as great a start as any, and well worth a purchase.

4.5/5

Matt Lambert

AlbumsMusic
  • Tom Palmer