Bad news for Jerusalem

Jerusalem was the most contested city in the world even when the Old City was only being split between four peoples. Now, apparently, the aliens want a slice of the pie as well.

On the 29thof January, a video surfaced online posted with the message “have fun debunking this one”, showing a UFO in the shape of a ball of light descending over the Dome of The Rock on Temple Mount in the Old City of Jerusalem, a sacred site for three religions where no aircraft are allowed. It hovers there for a few seconds before shooting off into the sky. The next day another video went online showing the same event from a different angle. Two more videos have since been uploaded and while the third has been proven to be a hoax capitalising on the internet hysteria the other three have been more difficult to debunk. Another theory is that the lights are really high-tech Israeli drones. These would be the most advanced piece of technology mankind has ever seen, although it is highly unlikely the Israelis would announce their existence in this way. The lights also look similar to UFOs spotted over Manhattan and Zhejiang, China last year.

There’s no need to pack up the car just yet though, with there still being a very strong possibility that this was done by some internet prankster in need of a girlfriend. But it is doubtful we’ll ever know for sure.

Daniel Fine

• Grant Myers